Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fsx_missionguy

Mission: Miracle On The Hudson

Recommended Posts

An updated version of the USAir Flight 1549 mission - which I've renamed "Miracle On The Hudson" - has been uploaded today. (You should uninstall the previous version to avoid any issues with the previous version.) You will find it in the Acceleration Missions area of the Downloads section here ... http://www.flightsimulatorxmissions.comThis version does require Acceleration.This updated version adds to the realism of this real-life mission by including actual recordings of the conversation between the LaGuardia International Airport control tower and the pilots of the stricken US Airways Airbus A320. These recordings were released to the public today (05Feb09) by the Federal Aviation Administration.You'll hear all the conversations that occurred between the tower and other aircraft and other airports as the tower controller attempted to clear the airspace so that the stricken aircraft could attempt to make it back to an airport.The mission weather has also been tweaked to more accurately represent actual weather conditions that day.To hear the tower/cockpit conversation ... fly your aircraft towards Teterboro Airport and attempt a water landing in the Hudson River (just as the real-life pilots did). To hear all the recordings, stay airborne as long as possible. You will also hear a real-life recording of a 911 call released by the NY Police Department as you land out in the Hudson River.You also have the opportunity in this FSX mission to land back at LaGuardia International or any other airport in the area to receive a mission reward (although if you choose this option, you may not hear all of the tower recordings)! Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow, that looks awesome.
Why would the mission require Acceleration and not just SP2? I have SP2 installed, and when installing this mission I can see it in Windows Explorer, but not in the Mission menu in FSX, which I assume is becuase I don't have Acceleration.Thanks, Bruce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why would the mission require Acceleration and not just SP2?
Bruce,This mission is still in beta. When I release the final version, I'll create an SP2-compatible version.Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruce,This mission is still in beta. When I release the final version, I'll create an SP2-compatible version.Cheers
Hi Kevan,Thanks- I look forward to using it.Bruce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried this mission and It's impressive even on a sim. No way I would want to be in that cockpit and have to make the decision on where to land. I would have been tempted to head to NJ. However, this mission call for the A321 aircraft.cfg file to be altered and forgot to save the original, does anyone know where to find the default aircraft.cfg file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reflew the flight from USA Today data. I don't think Teterboro was a safe bet from 3200 feet and at the bird strike point. My calculations (based on after-the-fact known glide rate of that crash) showed he would not quite have made it. So that was a huge gamble. But listen to the tapes ever so closely. Very early on Captain Sullenberger say's "we'll be in the Hudson" (the first time, of two) in a response to Lagaurdia Departure in a very early-on message when they told him that they could not get him the runway that he requested for emergency landing (at Laguardia). I think that is a problem for the FAA, and the reason Sullenberger disappeared from the face of the earth for a week, while breaking appearance promises and getting his mouth clamped completely shut by the pilot's association. I don't think this was Sullenberger's problem, however. That early-on brash sounding statement from him sounded to me like a "wake up" call to those controllers from Sullenberger inside the airplane. I just don't think the last chapter or this story has been written yet, and the FAA is claiming it is going to take them 18 months to issue a report. That sounds very suspicious !!!! Time dulls the memory. :( My audio reported here was that very first audio issued/released for public use by the FAA. Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think this was Sullenberger's problem, however. That early-on brash sounding statement from him sounded to me like a "wake up" call to those controllers from Sullenberger inside the airplane.
Bob,We may never know what is in a man's heart, but I think that Captain Sullenberger, based on the interviews I've seen since, decided very early in that flight that he simply wouldn't take his aircraft over a populated area even if there was a chance to land it ... because it would have been the wrong thing to do.If there was a 75% chance he could make Teterboro ... there was a 25% chance he'd kill a bunch of innocent people if he miscalculated. He did the only moral thing there was to do.Both he and his passengers knew what the deal was when they got on that airplane (at least subconsciously). The people living in the houses and walking on the streets and working in the factories below weren't part of that deal, and its those people who owe Captain Sullenberger a real debt of thanks for steering his aircraft away from them.Top notch guy in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kevin,Looks like Another Stellar Mission, Looks very Challenging !!Many Cheers !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruce,This mission is still in beta. When I release the final version, I'll create an SP2-compatible version.Cheers
Is it out of beta yet? I tried it and it gave an error message about the Aircraft and I have to fly the mission in the Ultralight.I'm using FSX/Acceleration on Vista 64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is it out of beta yet? I tried it and it gave an error message about the Aircraft and I have to fly the mission in the Ultralight.I'm using FSX/Acceleration on Vista 64.
You mean the free support for free missions? Nope, it's not dead. I think that mission is out of Beta, but it's a Acceleration Only mission. The mission works fine for me.Gunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You mean the free support for free missions? Nope, it's not dead. I think that mission is out of Beta, but it's a Acceleration Only mission. The mission works fine for me.Gunner
I have Acceleration, I'll try installing it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And its still not working, even with the latest download.Oh well, maybe on the next install?Incidentaly, what happened to Kevin, the FSX-Mission Guy?, he's not posted here for a very long time now.Last I looked, he hasn't posted on his site, either for about the same amount of time?Hope he's OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you make the airbus floatable? I always get a crash no matter how good the landing is, please help. Also, the aircraft in the mission I have is just a blank paint, is there a way to add the US colors to it?thanksAnthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How do you make the airbus floatable? I always get a crash no matter how good the landing is, please help. Also, the aircraft in the mission I have is just a blank paint, is there a way to add the US colors to it?thanksAnthony
Anthony,There is not a way in the default FSX to make that aircraft float (some have tried by editing the default configuration for the aircraft, but not with great results in my view). FSX perceives any non-pontooned aircraft touching water to have crashed, and stops the simulation. Sorry, but that can't be helped.You can locate a USAir repaint of the default FSX Airbus A321 here:http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads-fil...34-details.htmlCheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites