Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest addonzealot

Weather Engine

I have been using ActiveSky 6.5 as my weather engine in FS2004 for sometime now. I have noticed that the hourly METARS lag behind 1 or 2 hours. I have verified that the time conversion factor for my current location is correct. I always use accurate UTC time in FS2004 yet I have lagging time differences. I have also noticed that although the METAR in ActiveSky 6.5 is correct that sometimes the weather is still wrong. I have been very happy with this weather engine as it is very close to the real world weather. I am just wondering if there is a better weather engine available. Any suggestions?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have been using ActiveSky 6.5 as my weather engine in FS2004 for sometime now. I have noticed that the hourly METARS lag behind 1 or 2 hours. I have verified that the time conversion factor for my current location is correct. I always use accurate UTC time in FS2004 yet I have lagging time differences. I have also noticed that although the METAR in ActiveSky 6.5 is correct that sometimes the weather is still wrong. I have been very happy with this weather engine as it is very close to the real world weather. I am just wondering if there is a better weather engine available. Any suggestions?
I was using ASX but now I use ASA . I like the hurricane feature also as being from Florida I like to fly thru them. Ive tried Weather Maker but it just didnt cut it for me with option settings and the interface, Not that it was bad I just didnt care for it.

It's mostly a case of 'suck it and see' where weather utilities in FS are concerned, most of them have some things to like and dislike about them. Weather Maker used to be the best one because it had some very good icing effects, but somewhat ironically, they took that feature out because some users said they didn't like icing, and some find the interface isn't to their liking. Active Sky is probably the most slick and polished one as far as GUI goes and has some good features in that it usually makes a better showing of things than the default FS engine, but not always. Then again, the default FS weather does have the advantage of lower system overheads.There are other ones too of course, but again, it's a case of trying them to see what features you personally like, what suits you will not necessarily suit someone else, because to some extent it depends on the kind of flying you do in FS, and that's generally different for everyone.Al

Meters are usually updated 10 minutes before the hour, and in some cases more frequently if a special is issued.Therefore an hour lag is understandable depending on when you sign on-if you start flying promptly at 9:55 am there is a good chance you will get the 8:50 am report. There can be a little delay getting the report into the system also.