Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

philomeena

Ground flickering (default showing through?)

I'm noticing on my various installed airports, if I'm taxying with the external spot view, the ground at the bottom of the screen is constantly flickering.. like the default ground keeps flashing through the installed airport ground.Tried a few. Freeware, Simflyers, Aerosoft. All seem to do it the same.Apart from a few add-on airports I have FS Global 2005 installed.Any ideas on whats causing this??

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Best of my understanding is that the core problem is that the graphics system needs to determine what object is "in front of" another (from the perspective of the viewer), and draw the one in front while not drawing the one in back. This can be a problem with things that are supposed to by lying flat on the ground. In default FS9, you have the terrain set at a fixed elevation by way of a file with "LWM flattens", and a separate airport file with another fixed elevation. Examining these files at any airport you see that the airport elevation is very slightly above the terrain elevation (maybe just millimeters). In some cases FS9 will "clamp" airport elements to the terrain, but not always.Addon airports, when setup the same as the default ones (unchanged flatten and airport elevation) generally look no better or worse than the default ones. Where problems seem to crop up, is when other methods have been used to create airport scenery such as:FS2k2 runways usedFS2k2 ground polys are usedFS2k2 Area 16N flattens used Flatten.x lines used in scenery.cfgIf these elevations don't all line up correctly the graphics engine can confuse the draw order. Run your eyepoint down in VC to "worm's-eye view" and you can really see the problems.scott s..

I believe changing the value in this section of the fs9.cfg file will solve this in some instances:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 default I believe is 19, so sometimes if this is changed to 20 or 21 you get the flashing.. just my past experience. Not sure though.