Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oli

Taxi on Runway

Hi,On certain airport, you need to taxi on the runway and then turn around, to make sure you use the whole runway length (i.e Madeira).In Radar Contact, are you supposed to hold short and then go up the runway when you are allowed to line up?(problem: it can take longer).Is there a way to do this in a realistic way?Thanks!Olivier

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In the real world you NEVER enter a runway unless specifically told to.I adopt this approach in FS and RC4.When told to line up you do as you say.Backtrack and turn round.In a few places you may find that RC4 does not say anything to you when you hold short.In these cases you need to taxi closer to the runway,maybe over the hold line a little.

Thanks for your quick answer, I will try it.Not even in my dreams would I enter a runway without being allowed - the flight critique guy does not have a sense of humor for this kind of thing Shame%20On%20You.gifHappy flying, Olivier

In addition, RC knows you are not in position to take off until holding on the runway due to monitoring your aircraft heading. It must be within certain limits of pointing in the take-off direction so when advised you can enter the runway at any point and taxi back even into a displaced threshold area and turn around for maximum take-off runway length. I have cockpit videos showing aircraft rolling from the DT area. Do not do this on an overrun area (r/w) as the surface is not intended for any aircraft operations.Be aware of approaching AI however so you have enough time for the extra travel.