Sign in to follow this  
Emile

How to split FSX folders onto 2 separed HDs?

Hello,All is in the title.I search "how to" move my BIG addon scenery onto an other physical HD.Thanks in advance.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hi,I know this tool : http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htmI want to know if an other solution is available.Thanks in advance.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hi,It's not a good idea to consider doing this, the performance hit would probably be quitle large, not to mention other problems. Not really worth the hassle.I'd recommend, if you are running out of space on your FSX HD, to purchase a new large drive, and transfer your existing FSX install onto it using something like Acronis True Image.

If this is just for Addon Scenery folders you would delete the entries from the scenery library in FSX, physically move the files to the other HD and then go back into FSX and readd all the layers.Or move the files, locate the active Scenery.cfg file, open it in Notepad or another plain text editor and manually change the affected areas to point to the new location.It's also possible to do the same with the default scenery files, moving them to a new location and changing their references within FSX.You could also move all the SimObjects (planes, rotorcraft, etc) to another location, if the reference data was properly updated in the FSX.Cfg file.Not for the faint of heart!

Hello,All is in the title.I search "how to" move my BIG addon scenery onto an other physical HD.Thanks in advance.
Since when you 'activate' scenery addons in FSX, you 'point' FSX to theirlocation, you can place those scenery files anywhere you want.The same can be done with addon aircraft. You can create seperate foldersfor AI aircraft, Military aircraft, etc and place those folders anywhere youwant then simply add a path statement in the MAIN section of the fsx.CFG file.I have several 'addon scenery' folders located outside of the FSX directory andon other drives. Likewise, I have several 'SimObject' folders located in variouslocations.Here's and example of my 'MAIN' entry in the fsx.CFG file:
[Main]User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats//SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\MiscSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\AircraftSimObjectPaths.6=M:\FSX AI AircraftSimObjectPaths.7=M:\FSX Military AISimObjectPaths.8=I:\FSX Military AircraftSimobjectPaths.9=I:\FSX A6 AircraftSimObjectPaths.19=SimObjects\Propliner AircraftSimObjectPaths.10=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hello and thanks to all.I forgot that it was possible to give a different path in the addon scenery !!