Sign in to follow this  
Guest enforcer

FSX Failure = ACES Failure

Guest enforcer

With the recent demise of ACES, it is now time to investigate what went wrong and why. This will be a learning exercise if they are to ever consider getting into gaming again: 1. Don't lie to Customers. Remember the fake minimum requirements, cloud shadows tick box at the demo, "magic" screenies/DX10 B.S and Shawn Firminger "improved landclass" claims? These were all lies to sell the game. That's a big No-No, and then your reputation is mud. 2. Don't write cr@p code FSX contains assembler code dating back to the 1980's and 1990's. They just kept bolting stuff on. often in the crudest possible ways (ie shader patch job) 3. Fix the problems They didn't have the ability to fix bugs, only claim they have on their blogs. Remember the Paul Lange "No More Blurries" blog"? After a decade the problem was never fixed. 4. Don't expect 3rd party guys to finish your work. Remember the Great Deserts of Washington and Europe? Unfinished work they were too lazy to do. 5. Don't waste time on the internet forums. ACES were spending way too much time on the forums and not working on the product. At the same time flaming customers, calling them "little girls" (Phil Batman Taylor). 6. Few Real changes in FSX ACES spent a total of 4 years in development, byt FSX was embarrassingly familiar. And in many cases worse with major bugs, even worse performance issues and system crashes. 7. Don't blame the graphics card companies The issues were with FSX not the graphics card drivers. Do other games have all these glitches? No. ACES blamed them for their own issues and told users to contact them. (Phil Batman Taylor) 8. Improve the technology and archictecture ACES didn't know technology. No multi-core support, no physics support, no 64bit support, major graphics issues and system crashes. Every 3D game these days has HDR lighting, but ACES couldn't even figure that out. 9. Release patches that work properly ACES updates broke compatibility with current models. This is totally inexcusable in the software biz. 10. Deal with the big issues. Although ACES were well aware of major issues they were too lazy and preferred to make silly elephants or something and pretend that's working on a flight simulator. 11. Game development is not 9 to 5 day job Real developers "live the code". They don't knock off at 5pm because they have PASSION. ACES had no passion. And now no jobs. 12. ACES "finished" on a due date and not when the software was ready. A Mass File planet Beta Test only weeks before the "finish" date was a total joke. The software was never going to ve ready on time and that was obvious.

Hmmmmmm. You have contributed TWO posts to this forum, and one of them is a rather crude attack on Aces. I predict the thread being locked very soon.The reason FSX "failed" (remember this is very subjective) is because the developers had two very contradictory objectives:i) Introduce new features.ii) Maintain backward compatibility with older releases.In the end they failed to achieve either of these, but that is just my opinion.FS9 is still my favourite sim and FSX is *still* the ugly sister. However, give it a few years and FSX will be at the same level as FS9 is now, and we will hopefully have the hardware to be able to run it all at a decent framerate.

Joined today just to post this slop?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I predict the thread being locked very soon.
You got that right. Now locked and the miscreant will be warned.