Sign in to follow this  
Guest rnails

Custom PC Builders

Guest rnails

Friends, For guys like me who lack the expertise to build a quality PC for FSX would you please suggest reliable builders as Google lists 290,000 under "Custom PC builders".The best I can do is replace HD's and graphics cards. I've looked at several " well advertized" builders with the usual good and bad comments. My Dell XPS-P-4 2.8,800FSB, 3gigs Crucial PC3200, and a 512MB Nvidia 7600GS is being severly over taxed. Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. rnails(Space Coast,FL.)

Friends, For guys like me who lack the expertise to build a quality PC for FSX would you please suggest reliable builders as Google lists 290,000 under "Custom PC builders".The best I can do is replace HD's and graphics cards. I've looked at several " well advertized" builders with the usual good and bad comments. My Dell XPS-P-4 2.8,800FSB, 3gigs Crucial PC3200, and a 512MB Nvidia 7600GS is being severly over taxed. Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. rnails(Space Coast,FL.)
Honestly, I think you should re-consider doing it yourself - the money you'll save can go for better hardware. If you've installed a HD or GPU, you should be fine. About the only "dicey" part is installing the cpu HSF on an Intel system with those plastic push pins - but even that isn't so bad if you take your time. Actually, matching and choosing your componants is probebly the worst part, with all those decisions, but there's a wealth of info here to make it easier. Good luck.

Regards, Kendall

Guest c12@fft

Hello. You CAN build your own system at a fraction of the cost. There are web sites to provide help and most guys here will help. I built my first system about 3 months ago exclusively for FSX....and to my utter amazement...IT WORKED upon initial start up. SO, seriously; read up on it and give it a try..it is not that hard. Just make sure you use good, quality components, that will alleviate half of your problems.I am now entering the realm of Overclocking my system....I have a Q6600 CPU on a MSI P7N Platinum motherboard.Good luck in your endeavor.Bill

Hello. You CAN build your own system at a fraction of the cost. There are web sites to provide help and most guys here will help. I built my first system about 3 months ago exclusively for FSX....and to my utter amazement...IT WORKED upon initial start up. SO, seriously; read up on it and give it a try..it is not that hard. Just make sure you use good, quality components, that will alleviate half of your problems.I am now entering the realm of Overclocking my system....I have a Q6600 CPU on a MSI P7N Platinum motherboard.Good luck in your endeavor.Bill
Nice first post Bill! - and you did so while trying to help others. Welcome to Avsim.

Regards, Kendall

Guest bekfreak
Nice first post Bill! - and you did so while trying to help others. Welcome to Avsim.
If you don't want to build it yourself and want a good boutique I just ordered my new FS Rig from this place http://www.maxforcepc.com ... they're new but so far they're living up to their hype. I learned about the place from some of his customers on [H] and so far all's good on his front. Other good places to go are Maingear, Puget (Both High End and High End Prices), Digital Storm, and Velocity Micro. http://www.maingear.comhttp://www.digitalstormonline.comhttp://www.pugetsystems.comhttp://www.velocitymicro.com I just got word on my build that the Corsair TX-750w psu wasn't in stock anywhere so Max upgraded me to a TX-850 without any extra charge. If you don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for a good computer and I've heard of Maingear taking up to 5 then I dunno. I know it's hard too and I'm anxious to sink my teeth into my new computer but so far I've been impressed with the service I've had. I was going to build it myself or try too but there's lots of headaches in dealing with the manufacture's RMAs if something goes wrong and someone correct me if I'm wrong about newegg that you're on your own if you get a bad cpu. I get a three-year warranty, year free shipping if anything happens during that first year, and lifetime support seeing some things will out last the warranty I'll get help with those types of RMAs still.

Guest rnails

Consultants, I appreciate your confidence in a neophyte builder but perhaps I should have included that I am "pushing 4 score" in years and unlike the magicians my hands are not quicker than the eye. I will check on the custom builders mentioned in the last reply and then decide what to do. Thanks to all of you for your imput. Ralph(aka rnails)

I believe that if you can read and hold a screwdriver, you can probably build a PC. You have to do some research and get the correct components, but the basics are just not that tough. I have faith in you, at least.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest simjunkie
Consultants, I appreciate your confidence in a neophyte builder but perhaps I should have included that I am "pushing 4 score" in years and unlike the magicians my hands are not quicker than the eye. I will check on the custom builders mentioned in the last reply and then decide what to do. Thanks to all of you for your imput. Ralph(aka rnails)
I'd be happy to build you a system if you would hire me. But I don't live close to you so that wouldn't work. One thing is for sure:It is so very easy to do. And it would cost a fraction of what the OEM custom systems (alienware, etc) cost. I'd do it for parts + peanuts. Just to have the satisfaction of giving you the satisfaction of a fun sim experience. With what I've learned on my own and by soaking up the wisdom of folks like Nick N., you would have as good as anything you could get for any price. Not the time for me to try to start a business though... :( Good luck,jk