Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Alias

Step climb

Hi,I'm currently flying from EHAM to LPMA and cruising at FL320 with forthcoming step climb to FL360. The FMC says OPT Cruise is now FL365 but on the EHSI the step climb is depicted to happen in 20 Nm: why? Shouldn't the two things coincide?Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Any coincidence would be a coincidence... once the cost of climbing 4000 ft can be more advantageous than staying at FL320 the step climb will occur. You may see step climbs when optimum cruise is less than next step but greater than current cruise with smaller steps. The larger the step the more you gotta pay for the climb is one way of looking at it.

I'm currently flying from EHAM to LPMA and cruising at FL320 with forthcoming step climb to FL360. The FMC says OPT Cruise is now FL365 but on the EHSI the step climb is depicted to happen in 20 Nm: why? Shouldn't the two things coincide?
If you are at FL320 with 4000ft step size, I would expect the step climb to occur at the time the FMS calculates the optimal cruise to be 340 or a little above that. I cannot understand why the FMS would say that FL365 is optimum now, yet delay the climb until 20NM later.Tom