Sign in to follow this  
ErnieAlston

PMDG MD-11 (FS9)

In the December review of the FSX version of this product I noticed an apparent reluctance to note any negatives. Call me a cynic but I don't believe any add-on is without flaws.But in this FS9 review we apparently have the opposite. Noting a negative of a missing weather radar.How can this be a feature one does not like about this product ? Its not even possibleto produce an accurate reproduction of such a thing in FS9. Its not a feature that is standard on otherproducts. Doesn't seem reasonable to expect PMDG to include it.Also why such a detailed review for a version that is essentially a port to FS9 of the FSX version of which Avsim has already provided an excellent and very very detailed review ? Very little mention at of the feature distinction in this FS9 version compared to the FSX version. Just seems like going over the same features all over again really.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

In the December review of the FSX version of this product I noticed an apparent reluctance to note any negatives. Call me a cynic but I don't believe any add-on is without flaws.But in this FS9 review we apparently have the opposite. Noting a negative of a missing weather radar.How can this be a feature one does not like about this product ? Its not even possibleto produce an accurate reproduction of such a thing in FS9. Its not a feature that is standard on otherproducts. Doesn't seem reasonable to expect PMDG to include it.Also why such a detailed review for a version that is essentially a port to FS9 of the FSX version of which Avsim has already provided an excellent and very very detailed review ? Very little mention at of the feature distinction in this FS9 version compared to the FSX version. Just seems like going over the same features all over again really.Regards.Ernie.
Hi Ernie,We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. A lot of projects are being released for both FS9 and FSX. Not all simmers fly in both and not all reviewers review in both, so we're missing 50% of the title. We decided to let this title be reviewed by 2 reviewers, each using their native FS platform.The end result (in a perfect world) should be that they mirror each other to show the simming fans that the title works equally well on both platforms. I thought that the end result was good and each review was fair.The final likes and dislikes are subjective to each reviewers opinion and will differ within each review. Just as some simmers like FS9 and some like FSX.

Guest revoraman

The PMDG MD-11 FS9 review carried out by Staff Writer Marlon Carter is spot-on.Having flown a variety of both freeware and purchased FS9 Add-Ons,and having patiently waited for PMDG to deliver on this particular aircraft,the MD-11,my favourite aircraft,and repeatedly checking their site to check what progress was being made over the last 4-5 years,I must say not only has the wait been worthwhile,but that PMDG with this aircraft have superceded even that benchmark of all flight simulation,the ubiquitious PMDG's 747-400 'Queen of The Skies'.It was a thorough and well-researched Review,and yes,I fully concur that there are no shortcuts to learning to fly this particular FS9 Add-On except to read the accompanying Manuals.The Tutorial is one of the best I have come across,and fully displays the versatility of this aircraft even on a short flight from EGLL-LSZH.Well Done PMDG.RIC

But in this FS9 review we apparently have the opposite. Noting a negative of a missing weather radar.How can this be a feature one does not like about this product ? Its not even possibleto produce an accurate reproduction of such a thing in FS9. Its not a feature that is standard on otherproducts. Doesn't seem reasonable to expect PMDG to include it.
FS is a fantasy 'game' where everything is make believe. As someone said, you turn on the beacons in FS not because you think AI will fly into you, but because it's the procedure and looks cool.Now, WX radar function has been standard on many payware, the RealityXP has a good version. PSS 777 has one. Maddog2006/8 has an excellent one, for example:Sure, it may not 'accurately' depict adverse weather all the time, but it does add to the make believe factor. My statement is not meant to take away from the fine products by PMDG--they hit one out of the park with the MD11 (FS9).Pat

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I've installed it and without any change to my 6 year old machine it flies as smooth as any default MS aircraft, amazing! The more I fly this bird , the more I 'm amazed how good it is.The avionics are superb and comparing it with the real ITVV MD11 video, I cannot find any difference. I am practising holding, rerouting changing runways, diverting, it works flawlessly.This is without any doubt the best aircraft I've ever owned.(the FMC doc really helps)AlainV

Now, WX radar function has been standard on many payware, the RealityXP has a good version. PSS 777 has one. Maddog2006/8 has an excellent one, for example:..Sure, it may not 'accurately' depict adverse weather all the time, but it does add to the make believe factor.
RealityXP is mostly a standalone product, that makes it distinctly non-standard.The WX radar's that are available are merely guesstimating where the weather actually is based on the limitedavailable information (clouds etc). Because the simulator does not provide information to the developerwhere precip is actually located.As you noted this results in sometimes accurate sometimes not accurate WX representation.There's nothing wrong with trying to do the best one can with the limited WX information availableand coming up with a somewhat accurate WX radar. If a developer chooses not to include a less than highly accurate WX radar it should not be a negative IMO.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg