Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

FS9 menu bar delay in Vista

When pressing Alt to enter any menu in FS9, I get a short but annoying pause until the menu bar appears. Meanwhile, I can't see anything. That is when running FS9 in full screen mode in Vista. In windowed mode there is no delay, but I'll easily lose 10 FPS (out of 30 steady FPS :(). Also, in XP there's no such delay, both in windowed and full screen modes.Also, I get this pause when I right-click in the wrong place (in "nothing" or in a non-right-clickable gauge), when a context menu appears... but not without The Pause before the context menu. Sometimes I see a previously accesed window, for example: I enter FSUIPC window, return to flight, and if I press Alt or right-click in the wrong place, during The Pause I'll see a screenshot of the FSUIPC window as I saw it just before pressing OK.This is my system:Dell Inspiron 1420Core2Duo T5750 @ 2GHz3 GB RAM 667 MHzVista Home Premium SP1 32-bitNvidia GeForce Go 8400M GSnHancer 2.4.5 installedDesktop composition disabledIs it there any setting in the drivers, nHancer or Windows that stops this annoying behavior? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I know this doesn't help, but I had this problem also! The thing is, I don't really remember what solved it - but I think back then, I had completely other hardware, since I have Nvidia, I saw nothing similar. Back then though, I think running FS without FSForce utility gave me that error... but I also had an ATI card.What I would suggest:- start by removing any non-original-FS modules from the Modules folder- updating your drivers- and if under Vista, disabling any desktop schemes (but you already did that as I read)

Are you running vista in "Windows Vista Basic" mode? Or are you in Windows Aero?
Excuse me my ignorance, but do I have to do something else than "Disable desktop composition" in order to enter "Basic" mode?I'll try tonight the Modules option, because I've tried all laptop drivers available for my GPU (from the OEM drivers to the latest ones from Nvidia) with no success, and I'll tell you what did I get. But I can say now that, with or without FSForce, there is no difference for my computer: The Pause is still present.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Excuse me my ignorance, but do I have to do something else than "Disable desktop composition" in order to enter "Basic" mode?I'll try tonight the Modules option, because I've tried all laptop drivers available for my GPU (from the OEM drivers to the latest ones from Nvidia) with no success, and I'll tell you what did I get. But I can say now that, with or without FSForce, there is no difference for my computer: The Pause is still present.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel
Yes, in Vista, go into your Display Settings (I think its in the window where you have schemes, and then there is something like display properties just below), and there you have the old style XP-like window, where you can turn everything off, including set the Classical Windows. Its been longer since I had Vista...Hmm, ok, I was also very sceptical about fsforce.Laptop drivers? So you are using a laptop.I suggest you rename your FS9 folder, and install it completely new into the same folder. Then test with completely vanilla FS9.

LuisRight click on your desktopSelect "Personailze"Select "Windows Colour & Appearance"Select "Windows Vista Basic" from the colour schemes drop down menu.Let us know if it worksDean

Well, I had already Windows Vista Basic color scheme (maybe because of the disabled desktop composition), and the latest video drivers for laptops: the 179.28 ones for Vista 32-bit. Removing modules or even returning to vainilla FS9 did also no effect. It looks like all 3D stuff is handled on one screen, and all 2D stuff (Windows and all its apps, FS9 configuration screens, the context menu and the menu bar) is handled on another one, and The Pause is just the time required for switching between both screens... Any ideas?Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

Well, I had already Windows Vista Basic color scheme (maybe because of the disabled desktop composition), and the latest video drivers for laptops: the 179.28 ones for Vista 32-bit. Removing modules or even returning to vainilla FS9 did also no effect. It looks like all 3D stuff is handled on one screen, and all 2D stuff (Windows and all its apps, FS9 configuration screens, the context menu and the menu bar) is handled on another one, and The Pause is just the time required for switching between both screens... Any ideas?Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel
How long is actually this pause???

How long is actually this pause???
2-3 seconds. Not too long, but longer than the typical stutter as far as I remember.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

2-3 seconds. Not too long, but longer than the typical stutter as far as I remember.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel
Can you actually tell me why would you prefer inferior system while the better one even performs better? I am out of my wits with Vista, I myself just let it go for its bugs...

Can you actually tell me why would you prefer inferior system while the better one even performs better? I am out of my wits with Vista, I myself just let it go for its bugs...
Let's see if I understood well: you are asking me why do I use Vista and not XP on my laptop. Well, I have to ask the same to Dell and MS, because I bought it last year when they weren't offering XP anymore (and the netbooks weren't popular yet). So why do I know about this behavior in XP? Well, I have an old Dell desktop (P4 2.8 Prescott, 1.25 GB RAM, Intel 915 integrated video) in which I used to fly until I got the laptop. I can keep 30 FPS almost everywhere; the only thing that keeps me away from full happiness with the laptop is that Pause (and a sound stutter during touchdown)... the stutters, I was getting them on the desktop, not in the laptop. After getting tired of googling with no success, I started this thread.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

Let's see if I understood well: you are asking me why do I use Vista and not XP on my laptop. Well, I have to ask the same to Dell and MS, because I bought it last year when they weren't offering XP anymore (and the netbooks weren't popular yet). So why do I know about this behavior in XP? Well, I have an old Dell desktop (P4 2.8 Prescott, 1.25 GB RAM, Intel 915 integrated video) in which I used to fly until I got the laptop. I can keep 30 FPS almost everywhere; the only thing that keeps me away from full happiness with the laptop is that Pause (and a sound stutter during touchdown)... the stutters, I was getting them on the desktop, not in the laptop. After getting tired of googling with no success, I started this thread.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel
Hi Miguel,Now I gotcha. Aren't there drivers for the laptop so you can test the XP on it? The problem could be Vista itself, though it might be computer too. And I also understood that you already had XP on it, didn't think it might have been another machine. But, said that, through many years, different machines shown that they can all behave differently.I can understand that you would like a laptop for everything, but if I understood right, your laptop has also onboard graphics, which is THE worst thing you can have for FS.Desktop is the way to go for simming, will give you much better performance, and separate graphics card probably won't show such pauses, as mine doesn't.Sorry I couldn't be of more help.