Sign in to follow this  
BlakeWilliams

MD-11 Autopilot

Hi All,Ok, I know there is a reason for my troubles and most certainly doing something wrong - but I know someone out here has the right answer! After my rotation in the MD-11, (400 ft off the deck) I go to engage autoflight to keep runway heading and get a steady climb, but as soon as I do this the plane pitches way up, about 4000 FPM and I have to quickly set the v/s back down to something more desirable. How do I ensure a smooth autoflight engage?Thanks in advance captainsBlake

Try about 0.5 less STAB trim than recommended on takeoff page until the fix is released in the upcoming SP. I assume you are attempting to engage PROF; otherwise, the recommendation is longer. You can also delay engaging autopilot in climb until maybe 1000 agl... sometimes that helps too. The trim effects vary with your TOCG.

Dan Downs KCRP

Aim to get a bit nearer to the flight director bars before engaing autopilot - A fix is in the pipeline for the takeoff trim, etc. Hopefully then it'll fly a lot nearer it's 'original' fsx release.Till then if you knock off 0.5 off the stated trim it helps, but the plane will rocket up if nowhere near the FD bars (Pitch for speed).John Ellison

I find it particularly stable in initial climb if I set speed to FMS managed after engaging AUTOFLIGHT, as it holds V2+10 quite well until acceleration altitude. If I screw up here, it can get ahead of me, and it goes into speed protection mode. It is a classic example of me becoming a passenger on my own flightdeck... :(I tend to hand fly off the deck to around 1000ft AGL before engaging AUTOFLIGHT, PROF, and managed speed. Nav is normally set while still on the ground, and I fly the director bars (well as best as I can at least... :()Andrew