Sign in to follow this  
lfishe

Intel i7 920 and the i7 965 for FSX

Hi,I am putting together a new computer. I am looking at the performance difference between the Intel i7 920 and the i7 965 for FSX. The cost difference is substantial, is the performance?Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU 1200W Power SupplyEVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 ATX Intel MotherboardEVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896-P3-1257-AR Video CardCORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600Thanks,Lynn

Guest Alphahawk3
Hi,I am putting together a new computer. I am looking at the performance difference between the Intel i7 920 and the i7 965 for FSX. The cost difference is substantial, is the performance?Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU 1200W Power SupplyEVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 ATX Intel MotherboardEVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896-P3-1257-AR Video CardCORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600Thanks,Lynn
I am sure you will get a lot of input on this question but as I don't think many of us have both CPU's in a PC at home although I know one or two on here who do. I have the 920 and am very happy with it being ran at 3.5ghz and I use the Frame Rate Limiter......but that is something else. From all my reading the 4ghz level on the i7 shows some amazing performance in FSX. Many say they are there on air with the 920 and they may be but I can't do it.....that is and keep it there. I see great performance at 3.5Ghz but the short time I had it at 4Ghz was a big step up. I consider it too risky. The 940 on the other hand can go to 4ghz and stay there cool enough and is much easier to clock and set the mem up at the correct speed than the 920. The 965 is the same in that aspect as the 940 but it is quite an expensive leap. In my opinion the i7 940 is the best bang for the buck. But I think the new i7's are due out. You may want to see what they are before doing anything.

I vote for the 920 if your overclocking.I have my 920 running at 4GHz, glad I saved the $ over the 965.Using the EVGA X58 , GTX280 and OCZ Gold 1600 ram, TRUE 120 CPU cooler.You could cut back on the power supply as well, I'm using the Corsair 850.Dont think you'll need 1200 unless you plan to run 3 video cards and for FSX only 1 is needed.Overclocking the setup was as easy as :190x20 with Turbo = 190x21 ~ 4GHzvCore = 1.375 With Droop (newer chips will run at lower volts)VTT = +125vDimm = 1.6 (for my ram)HT = OffSpeedstep = OnAll else on auto. If you need any help getting setup just post or PM.EVGA has a great x58 forum for help,the only downside of the evga x58 is S3 sleep does not work when overclocking a 920.It does with the 965 as you can run it at higher multipliers.Good luck!

I vote for the 920 if your overclocking.I have my 920 running at 4GHz, glad I saved the $ over the 965.Using the EVGA X58 , GTX280 and OCZ Gold 1600 ram, TRUE 120 CPU cooler.You could cut back on the power supply as well, I'm using the Corsair 850.Dont think you'll need 1200 unless you plan to run 3 video cards and for FSX only 1 is needed.Overclocking the setup was as easy as :190x20 with Turbo = 190x21 ~ 4GHzvCore = 1.375 With Droop (newer chips will run at lower volts)VTT = +125vDimm = 1.6 (for my ram)HT = OffSpeedstep = OnAll else on auto. If you need any help getting setup just post or PM.EVGA has a great x58 forum for help,the only downside of the evga x58 is S3 sleep does not work when overclocking a 920.It does with the 965 as you can run it at higher multipliers.Good luck!
Have to agree. 4 Ghz not too difficult. Not sure how far you can push the 965 but you have to ask whether the extra say 400-500Mhz will be worth 3 times the price.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Have to agree. 4 Ghz not too difficult. Not sure how far you can push the 965 but you have to ask whether the extra say 400-500Mhz will be worth 3 times the price.
Thank you for the advice and help.Lynn

I will throw in my vote for the 940. I had no prob at all hitting 4 ghz. Very good performance just about everywhere I fly. See my sig for my hardware list. The new chips are from what I have read able to oc even higher and I think the prices will be staying the same as what they are offering now.

Jim Wenham