Sign in to follow this  
Guest donet

A challenge for the Gurus

Guest donet

Hi all, My problem is that after a fresh reinstall of Windows XP ProfessionalFS9 & Patch, FSUIPC, Voz 1.8 & Voz A1 1.2 installed exactly as per the manual on a separate partition with over 1/3 free space & defragmented with O&O defrag, when I start up FS2004 with the SIAI Marchetti SF 260 a/c allready running the prop becomes a spinning grey square for several seconds before loading as normal. Also the buildings and A1 a/c are greyed out before they eventualy load and then everything runs pretty normal. If I shut down FS9 and restart the problem with the prop doesn't happen but the buildings and a/c still take some time to fill in with colour and texture. Same thing happens in flight with or without A1 aircraft enabled and with different aircraft . Not near as bad in virtual cockpit mode but will still happen if I've held straight ahead view for long. 2nd problem is even on a flight of such short duration such as Kingsford Smith to Richmond N.S.W. if I climb to 10,000 feet and descend I have no detail at all, just smeared patches of colour over the landscape. If I then refresh the scenery it all comes back but the same thing happens on the return flight. It would appear to be a loading problem of some sort but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what might be causing it or what to do to fix it. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. It didn't do this before and it's driving me nuts.FS9 is installed on separate partition with 940 GB of free space, all of Korbys tweaks, O & O space and then name defraged, Avast antivirus shut down and unnecessary sevices disabled using Black Vipers recommendations. Using Windows classic view, clear type disabled, even tried giving high priority to FS9 in Task Manager Processes .Have attached Pics to demonstrate problem.Regards,DonairMicrosoft Windows XP ProfessionalVersion 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600, Net Framework ver 3.5OS Manufacturer Microsoft CorporationSystem Manufacturer TOSHIBASystem Model Satellite M60System Type X86-based PCProcessor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1995 MhzNVidia GE Force Go 6600 256 mb 2Mb RamNetframework 3.5........... CH Pro Throttle USBCH 586 Combatstick USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest belga1

Hello,

A challenge
Methink the challenge is for your CPU in first place And what I see in the pics seem's not bad ... regarding your specifications.But hey ! it's just me. superbiggrin.gifRegards.bye.gif

your system specs are def. causing this. It looked like you got a good amount of add-ons running, so this is expected. Do you have your FPS locked? at what? Also, what fs9.cfg settings are you running? Im running a 8500 dual cpu at 3.4 with a 8800GTS and even on mine sometimes it takes a moment to load the texture when i start up...and I get some blurring on the ground because i look my fps at 60...I must hit refresh every once in a while.

your system specs are def. causing this. It looked like you got a good amount of add-ons running, so this is expected. Do you have your FPS locked? at what? Also, what fs9.cfg settings are you running? Im running a 8500 dual cpu at 3.4 with a 8800GTS and even on mine sometimes it takes a moment to load the texture when i start up...and I get some blurring on the ground because i look my fps at 60...I must hit refresh every once in a while.
Just curious as to why you're locking frame rates to 60 when anything over 25 shows no difference. I set mine at 30 just because, but if I were having any texture issues I would lower it if it was set above that.Jim D.

Just curious as to why you're locking frame rates to 60 when anything over 25 shows no difference. I set mine at 30 just because, but if I were having any texture issues I would lower it if it was set above that.Jim D.
Yea, I've heard that argument many many times...and up until a few months ago, I had fps locked to 25 or 30. But than I got TrackIR and at 25 fps the head movements were not smooth, so i bumped it up to 60 and all is well. Also, when i put fps to 60, I 100% noticed a big difference in the overall smoothness of the sim, with or without trackIR. There's a recent thread somehwere around...not sure if its on this website talking about this...but the fps controls movement inputs(control surfaces), wind effects, along with other things...so the higher the better as the sim can render more processes. But of course than your making your computer work harder, so its a compromise. But if your computer can handle a steady 60 or higher fps..try it out and fly a bit...you'll know what i mean.

The comment with 25fps being as smooth as 60fps is such a false one. It is NOT.Why do people see 25fps as smooth? Because mostly, for normal flight, you don't pan, turn or move quickly. Most people won't perceive the difference - that doesn't mean there isn't one.I don't have FSX installed, but I had it. And I noticed while 25fps being something different than in FS9, it is NOT the same as 40fps. Same thing in FS9, 25fps are much more restrictive than 40fps or even 60fps. I keep my FS9 on 40fps, and I could use more, but not doing it due to CPU overhead.As Sam mentioned in one another thread, there is FPS you see and perceive, and there are real FPS. Those are two different speeds. For me, its 40fps and up what I perceive as smooth, everything below is choppy, both FS9 and FSX.