Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Starsky

Wrong flight levels

Hi there from Spain guys!I am an avid Radar Contact v4 user (with PMDG 737). The other day I used it together with Level-d's 767 for the first time. I encountered the same problem in two different flights. While cruising in one of them, I changed some altitude restrictions in the FMC. Until this moment everything was ok, but suddenly the aircraft started to descend (my fault, as I hadn't noticed that I had reached the TOD and the plane had automatically started the descent). Very quickly I requested ATC to give me a lower cruise altitude to settle myself there until ATC gave me the descent levels. So, I waited and finally I was cleared to a lower flight level and so on. Getting closer to the airport I noticed that ATC had only cleared me to FL070 and just after that they cleared me for the ILS approach. I was so close to the airport that I couldn't capture the glide slope and I had to descend manually to a "capturable" altitude for the glid slope.On the second flight the same thing happend, only this time the final cleared altitude was about 10000'.I have Active Sky 6.5 installed (I don't actually use it, although I don't know if it does "things" in the background which I don't get to know).I also plan flights with Aerosoft FOC (saving plans as *.pln for Radar Contact to understand).Maybe I shouldn't change altitude restrictions in the FMC just in case Radar Contact gets confused? I'm just guessing...Please help!!Thanks in advance and sorry for my English!!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi there from Spain guys!I am an avid Radar Contact v4 user (with PMDG 737). The other day I used it together with Level-d's 767 for the first time. I encountered the same problem in two different flights. While cruising in one of them, I changed some altitude restrictions in the FMC. Until this moment everything was ok, but suddenly the aircraft started to descend (my fault, as I hadn't noticed that I had reached the TOD and the plane had automatically started the descent). Very quickly I requested ATC to give me a lower cruise altitude to settle myself there until ATC gave me the descent levels. So, I waited and finally I was cleared to a lower flight level and so on. Getting closer to the airport I noticed that ATC had only cleared me to FL070 and just after that they cleared me for the ILS approach. I was so close to the airport that I couldn't capture the glide slope and I had to descend manually to a "capturable" altitude for the glid slope.On the second flight the same thing happend, only this time the final cleared altitude was about 10000'.I have Active Sky 6.5 installed (I don't actually use it, although I don't know if it does "things" in the background which I don't get to know).I also plan flights with Aerosoft FOC (saving plans as *.pln for Radar Contact to understand).Maybe I shouldn't change altitude restrictions in the FMC just in case Radar Contact gets confused? I'm just guessing...Please help!!Thanks in advance and sorry for my English!!!
is the problem that 10000 was not referred to as FL100?if you aren't using activesky, uninstall it. you're wasting cpu cycles on something you aren't using.has this been working for some time now, and now it isnt'? what has changed?if this is still a problem, make a .log, duplicate the problem, zip it up, and send it to me. in the email, tell me where you are, what is said, what you do, and what happens that isn't right.thanksjd

You may not get stepped down to the next altitude until you have reached the assigned altitude. You have to be sure your altimeter is set correctly for either standard pressure (29.92 in. or 1013 mb) for FLs. If you were told to ascend or descend to an FL it is standard pressure otherwise use the local surface pressure.Also, make sure you have acknowledged any outstanding communications as that can stall RC.Active Sky 6.5 should not affect anything other than your current surface pressure and winds. Make sure you have the current FSUIPC as noted in the forum thread at the top. It is what I use.Do not use the B key in FS to set altimeter pressure as it uses U.S. rules for a fixed FL conversion altitude and will not match RC's rules based on local transition levels.Always follow RC's instructions and not your FMC altitudes as they will not likely match. Disengage VNAV and use your MCP FLCH or whatever you have to command your AP.If you are coming in too high at specific airports they are probably located in uneven surrounding terrain and the average MSA RC uses might be too high. You need to consider for these airports a STAR and IAP chart and elect after approach contacts you to follow an IAP approach which will let you navigate the final stages of your route on your own.