Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

Thingypit V2

After following the advise of Japp Verduijn to press this and press that ( ha,ha, only joking Japp, like you, nothing ventured, nothing gained ) I finished up taking it to the shop for a new hard drive and an update to Win.XP. On the long hard road to getting all my stuff back I was amazed ( and dismayed ) to see the number of times the cockpit was called the "Thingypit" As the father of one very attractive daughter and two handsome sons, I would be appalled to think I had brought them up to think this way. I find it very sad that anyone can think of a cockpit as anything other than where the flight crew sit in an aircraft. ( Hey Japp, how yer doing pal ? )Regards,Russell.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Russell,I believe it started with some overzealous forum software that automatically replaced the word '####' with 'thingy' (unlike this forum it replaced it, even if it was part of a longer word). The software was obviously devised by someone with a dirty mind :). I guess it wouldn't be the first choice for a chicken farmers' discussion forum...Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Sounds like a thingytail would be nice right about now...

Greetings Russell!Ain't life a stinker, mate (wide and wicked grin)?! My AGP still works beautifully after my therapy of press this and press that, but several other (relatively minor) things on the rig still don't work as they should.And would you believe it: I have found out why! Just by reading the little book that came with the new mobo Asus P4B533 that the computershop installed, I discovered that this mobo does not support Windows 98(SE)! Yesterday I went back to the shop, asked for the manager and gave him a firm piece of my mind. He immediately called the importer who confirmed that Asus P4B533 DOES NOT SUPPORT WINDOWS 98 ANYMORE! (the caps are for attracting the attention of forum members who might find themselves in similiar circumstances). The manager, slightly ashamed, of course offered to replace the mobo, but it turned out that Asus mobo's that still DO support Windows 98, don't support P4's faster than 2.4 Ghz. So I declined his offer, for when prices come down I will undoubtedly upgrade from my present 2.4 to a 3.+ processor.What remains for me to do, is upgrading to Windows XP, quite likely the Pro version. Well, not upgrading (I've heard sad comments about that), but actually reformatting the HD and installing the full version over a clean slate. It will have to wait till the end of this month though, on account of this costing about 200 euro here in Holland, and although it's only the sixth of May, I am already out of money for this month... I reckon most of you recognize this deplorable state of affairs (wide grin)!Anyway: people who run Windows 98(SE) and find themselves with odd computer behavior after installing a new mother board, should verify if the new board still supports this operating system! These things tend to be in VERY small print, and shopkeepers and supplyers don't often read these tiny letters!Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Glad to hear it's still working for you Jaap. I'll tell you what, I reckon with a sense of humour like yours, you'll always come out smiling no matter what. Been too busy to try the XP out yet so can't really give a comment. However, at this very moment,my wife is somewhere over the Atlantic,heading down Mexico way for a couple of weeks so that should give me plenty of time.Turner112--that thingytails made me laugh. Reminded me of last year in NYC. Went for a meal in China Town, the waiter asked if we would like cocktails but my brother (whose a resident ) misheard him, "carp tails ? I think not" Turning to me he said, "Carp tails,what does he think we are,bloody tourists" He did apologise to the waiter when I pointed out his mistake, but it was funny at the time.Best Regards,Russell.