Sign in to follow this  
Guest Se7en

Thinking of installing FS2004 again

Guest Se7en

I'm a very happy FSX simmer but for a bit of diversity have been thinking of installing FS2004 again for perhaps mostly airliner usage and leaving FSX for my favourite GA type flying.If I go ahead with this, what add-ons would you Guys recommend? I do own quite a lot from my FS9 days but dont necessarily want to install everything, my FSX install is already close to 100GB but I have another HD with what I feel would be ample space for an FS9 and cr

Not surprisingly, the PMDG 747-400 is good in FS9, probably got a good claim to being the best thing you can get for it in fact, although you can also opt for the freebie I-Fly 747 (see recent Avsim review) which although not quite as good, gives the PMDG 747 a run for its money for a freeware plane (works in FSX and FS9 too). There is of course also the MD-11 from PMDG for FS9, but unlike their 747, it doesn't enjoy all the same features as its FSX sibling.Both Wilco and PMDG's 737s are also worth a look, especially the Wilco one, since it works in both FSX and FS9, so you get a very usable mid-life 737 for both sims, Ariane too, make a visually very nice 737 for FS9, with certainly the best virtual cockpit, although it's a bit on the pricey side, so kind of hard to justify, but if you've won the lottery, check it out. The Aeroworx Beechcraft King Air is pretty much a must have for FS9 and is also a good contender for being the best add-on for FS9 you can get, very realistic flight model indeed.If you prefer less complex treatments of airliners, the CLS 747-200/300 is worth a look (buy it from Just Flight's site, where it is cheaper, rather than the CLS site), it too works in FSX and FS9, although it seems to run a bit better in FS9 from what I can tell. It's no PMDG in terms of complexity, but not everyone wants all that depth and it has a fun 'old school' cockpit.The Flight 1 ATR-72 works in both FS9 and FSX, so that's another good one to have if you are a 'dual simmer' who likes regional flights, as indeed are a lot of other Flight 1 affairs which work in both sims, the Cessna 441 in particular is worth a look for a fast GA aircraft that is good enough for longer flights but not too complex to drive. Just Flight's 'Flying Club X' is an inexpensive add-on which sticks some very usable GA aircraft in both your FSX and FS9 hangar (works in both sims, despite the title), Flying Club includes a very nice Cessna 152, a Warrior, Seneca and Tomahawk, plus a dinky little chopper. They're perhaps not up to Carenado's standards, but they're certainly okay, and it's a lot of bang for your bucks. Just remember, the first rule about Flying Club is: you do not talk about Flying Club.Wilco's Citation is another good one for FS9 and is in fact better in FS9 than it is in FSX. It works in both though, so again, worth having for the option of driving it in either sim. It has a very nice FMC which can be used realistically, or it can load up FS flight plans, so it's a very flexible plane, not to mention the fact that it is also the fastest GA aircraft you can get (soon to be superceded by the new Gulfsteam in speed apparently, but certainly the fastest one in FS), being capable of .91 Mach up at 51,000 feet. Alternatively, Eaglesoft do a Citation for FS9 alone (with an FSX version supposedly in the pipeline), plus many other FS9 corporate jets, so the Eaglesoft site is definitely worth a flyby for some funky FS9 birds.As far as non aircraft add-ons go, Just Flight's new Air Hauler title works in both FS9 and FSX and is a good add-on to accompany airliners and smaller craft in both sims. Multi Crew Experience (Avsim review coming up soon by yours truly) works in both FS9 and FSX and is well worth checking out too. I think I'm right in saying Flight 1 have some sort of bargain offer on their Traffic add-on for FS9 at the moment, so if you only have the default traffic for FS9, then that might be worth a look.That should be enough to destroy your wallet.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Se7en

Hi Alan and thanks for taking the time with such a detailed response.I'd completely forgotten about some of the compatibility in add-ons between FS9 and FSX so I'm probably good to go for a lot more than I expected.I'll try the PMDG 747 and 737 as I'm a big fan of these Aircraft, also I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Aeroworx Beechcraft King Air, this I will install FS9 for if nothing else.You've given me great food for thought about Aircraft, thanks.I'm now looking at essential scenery/mesh/landclass add-ons for FS9 before I go ahead and install again.I'll probably have a lot of good stuff already, but how out of date they might be I'm not too sure.So, any recommendations for essential scenery or even the best utility's for FS9?Thanks again.

UT USA, GE Pro are a must! Flight Environment is very good too. Also, I can't fly without ActiveSky. For mesh, I use various FSGenesis files which are freeware, and FSGlobal 2008, which I have no complaints about.Smaller programs (freeware) I use are, AITraffic, Add-On AI (a specific program which cant be mentioned here, but is the best :( ), AI timeout fix, AIRLand runway textures, Edit Voice.those freewares and other files that I have replaced over the years can all be found at Avsim library.If you got any questions, let me know

I'm a very happy FSX simmer but for a bit of diversity have been thinking of installing FS2004 again for perhaps mostly airliner usage and leaving FSX for my favourite GA type flying.
--------------Se7en- yes, the claim is made that FSX is superior for "low and slow". But here is a trio of screenies of FS9 using Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment to enhance the scene. And running nicely on a 5+ yr old 'puter! You decide!Alex ReidBonanza- Dawn- On final for R8L CYVROver Vancouver Isl. nearing CYYJ & home sweet home!Approaching Port Orchard WA on a lazy rainy Sunday afternoon

Guest chrisgolden

Some nice pictures there. I recently switched from FSX to FS9 and I have to be honest I am so glad I did. Okay I had to install a lot of scenery/mesh packs and extra aircraft with numerous amount of liveries but it was worth it in the end. I now have the feel and performance I want.