Sign in to follow this  
Tallguy

Can't find all switches for Cold & Dark startup MD-11

Can anyone please tell me where to find the following options/switches on the MD-11 (FS9 version) to get true an actual cold & dark checklist?1. Overboost stop. Should be on the throttle pedestal. Is this not modelled?2. Takeoff Warning test. Can't seem to find it.3. Exterior lights. Is that the switch for the mail lights on the lower part over the overhead panel where you can aslo switch them to "exterior full"? (next to the noselight)4. Evacuation switch. Can't find it anywhere.5. AFS OVRD OFF switch. Can't find it.Another one I'm not sure off if it works or not: the bank angle selector. It seems like it doesn't react when I click there with my mouse.Furthermore I'd like to say that the sounds have been done great by PMDG. Everytime I start the engines (and use my normal audio amplifier with subwoofer) I get the feeling that I'm actually in the plane! Great job!Grt,Eric

Hi Eric,All of this is in the documentation but here goes....1. Overboost in the real aircraft is activated by pushing the throttles full forward (through a detent similar to the Airbus gates) If your using throttles in FS assign a button to overboost in the PMDG options. A note of caution, overboost will switch the FADECS to ALTN and you will lose A/T so if you ever find yourself needing overboost your pretty much in some form of trouble.2. Takeoff warning test. ( just push the throttles forward with the engines off, the aircraft powered and not configured for takeoff) 3. Not quite sure I understand?? exterior lights are obviously the lights on the outside so that includes LOGO Hi intensity etc4. Should be at the back of the overhead panel left hand side.5. AFS Override is right in front of you on the FCU below the Autoflight button (two little switches that that say AFS OVRD OFF) Again you should never need to touch this unless something is very wrong.6. Bank selector should work (it only works in HDG SELECT) In all my years of virtual flying I've never had to use it.Hope this helps CheersRob

Rob Prest

To add to Rob's reply.1. The overboost bar is at the front of the throttle pedestal - click it and it'll disengage... beware though.3. Exterior lights - nav lights, when battery is on, beacon before movement and off when stopped at gate, logo to show off lol, wing sort of the same. strobe on at runway, off when leaving.4. Evac swtch is only visible in VC - top left. Arming one is on left bottom of overhead panel.John E

Thx guys.I did scoop all the PDF's to try and find it, but I must have overlooked the pages where it was described. Odd though that the EMERG SW is only seen/available from the vc view.** To be sure...EMERG SW is something completly different from the EMERG Lights. 'cause that one I can find, but after looking for the EMERG SW several times during cold & dark I couldn't find it.Even here I don't see it anywhere on the left side.md11p1.JPGOverboost is something I did find discussed in this forum, but am unsure wether or not it is modelled. Appearantly..is is :) Will check it later this evening.Exterior lights...I'm still not 100% certain what the MD-11 checklist means with "OFF". One can say that the two swithces for the main takeoff/landing lights are set in the middle position ('cause the text on the overhead next to that position actually reads "ext off").

Landing lights have 3 positions.RET = RetractedEXT OFF = They extend out of the aircraft but are off EXT ON = Extended and onExternal lights are just the light's you see on the outside like any other aircraft. EG Beacon, Logo, NAV.Rob

Rob Prest

OK....so with the "Exterior Lights.....OFF" it is meant as is...all exterior lights off (and not that some lights (like the LDG lights) are extended, but still off). Then my next question..when does the P/FO pull the exterior LDG light from the RET postion to the Extended/Off position? Is that during taxi? I'm sure it isn't in the checklist.

You need to be clearer about what phase you are refering to. Most of it is common sense, the EXT OFF position is there so you dont have to keep retracting the Lights to switch them off as wear and tear costs money. I guess they only need to be fully rertacted when parked or above 10000ft.We as simmers don't really need to think about it but it's common courtesy to keep an eye on taxi lights strobes etc as this can blind or obscure the view of ground staff and other aircraft especially in dense fog.Rob

Rob Prest

You need to be clearer about what phase you are refering to. Most of it is common sense, the EXT OFF position is there so you dont have to keep retracting the Lights to switch them off as wear and tear costs money. I guess they only need to be fully rertacted when parked or above 10000ft.We as simmers don't really need to think about it but it's common courtesy to keep an eye on taxi lights strobes etc as this can blind or obscure the view of ground staff and other aircraft especially in dense fog.Rob
All true Rob...however I just tried to get my procedures as 'real' as possible :) That's why I wanted to know the order in which the P/FO sets the light switches.But...your answer of the FL100 eg parked is something I can live with haha :)BTW...did you find the EVAC SW on the image I posted? I still can't find it :( Regards,Eric

All true Rob...however I just tried to get my procedures as 'real' as possible :) That's why I wanted to know the order in which the P/FO sets the light switches.But...your answer of the FL100 eg parked is something I can live with haha :)BTW...did you find the EVAC SW on the image I posted? I still can't find it :( Regards,Eric
I guess EVAC is VC only, I'm looking at it right now, all Ican see is a Horn Shutoff and a switch with On,Arm,OffCheersRob

Rob Prest

BTW...did you find the EVAC SW on the image I posted? I still can't find it :(
Guess you already found it by now, but for everyone else who is looking for the switch and still can't find it, here is a pic! It's the top left switch with the red guard. A picture paints a thousand words... :( 20uo8s4.jpg