Sign in to follow this  
WacUK

MD11 Braking

Hello,I'm currently having a problem with the MD11 (FSX), every time I land I can't seem to slow down fast enough and always end up over running the runway. :(I'm usually doing about 80-90 knots once I reach the end of the runway, not sure why this is happening as I am following the tutorial.Could someone please let me know what the landing procedure is so I know I'm not doing anything obviously wrong, like when to disengage the auto pilot, this is for a dual land btw. Thanks. :(

Adam,This is how I do it...The MD-11's approach speed is typically greater than 150kts, which can make braking difficult if the final approach segment is not "spot on". You should look to cross the runway threshold at VREF+Wind Correction (this information is found in the TO/APPR page of the MCDU) and 50ft AGL. Leave the ATS engaged even if you choose to fly the approach by hand. The ATS will retard thrust at approximately 50ft AGL. I look to touchdown at the 1,000ft marker. On shorter runways I sometimes have to "plant" the aircraft to ensure I don't float down the runway. Autobrakes and spoilers will engage once the main gear touches. I wait to engage reverse thrust until my nosewheel has come to rest- although I have seen video which shows use of reverse thrust prior to the nosewheel touching down. Reverse thrust disengage at 80kts and manual braking at 60kts.I would also love to read how others do it.JW

What Adam said. I would add "arm" the reverse thrusters the moment you touch down.My landing experience with the MD11 has been nothing like landing the PMDG 747. I'm stretching this a bit, but I could put the 747 on a postage stamp. With the MD11 I take the final approach like I do takeoffs -praying ..er paying close attention to rnwy length, head wind and most importantly landing weight.edit in: I read somewhere where a pilot said something like, ""one must not be afraid to ruff up the passengers a bit to ensure a safe landing."""

Adam,This is how I do it...The MD-11's approach speed is typically greater than 150kts, which can make braking difficult if the final approach segment is not "spot on". You should look to cross the runway threshold at VREF+Wind Correction (this information is found in the TO/APPR page of the MCDU) and 50ft AGL. Leave the ATS engaged even if you choose to fly the approach by hand. The ATS will retard thrust at approximately 50ft AGL. I look to touchdown at the 1,000ft marker. On shorter runways I sometimes have to "plant" the aircraft to ensure I don't float down the runway. Autobrakes and spoilers will engage once the main gear touches. I wait to engage reverse thrust until my nosewheel has come to rest- although I have seen video which shows use of reverse thrust prior to the nosewheel touching down. Reverse thrust disengage at 80kts and manual braking at 60kts.I would also love to read how others do it.JW

Thanks for the reply, do you keep autopilot engaged during the whole of the landing, or should this be disengaged as soon as reverse thrust is engaged?I'm just curious if it's because I leave the AP engaged that I have difficulty stopping. :(

Adam,I almost always hand fly the approach- unless weather prohibits. However, during full autoland I will typically D/C the A/F system after my nodewheel is down. Somebody might be able to chime in with the correct procedures on this...?JW

I almost always hand fly the approach- unless weather prohibits. However, during full autoland I will typically D/C the A/F system after my nodewheel is down. Somebody might be able to chime in with the correct procedures on this...?
Full autoland is usually done in a low visibility environment. That means it is best to leave the autopilot engaged until the lights for the runway exit are in sight. There's no hurry to disengage the AP since all it does is to keep the aircraft on the runway's centre line.If you auto-land in good visibility keep the autopilot engaged until after nose-wheel touchdown.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Thanks for the responses.I'm still having problems braking so I guess I'm gonna have to wait for the advanced tutorial (it can't be long now), maybe that will shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.Thanks again.

Let me ask the obviousDo the brakes work? When you press the brake button (default "/") does the "brake" message show up on the bottom left hand side of the screen? or are we purely talking about auto-brakes not engaging here?

Do the brakes work? When you press the brake button (default "/") does the "brake" message show up on the bottom left hand side of the screen? or are we purely talking about auto-brakes not engaging here?
Thanks for the response.I use CH Pedals, so I'm using the toe brakes and I do see the word BRAKE in red at the bottom of the screen when I use them. As for the auto brake, that is set as the tutorial, I use the tutorial for all my flights, I just change the flight plan/fuel etc for where I wish to fly from/to.

Assuming autobrakes engage normally at touch down you could also try the

Assuming autobrakes engage normally at touch down you could also try the

Adam,that option won't really make the difference between staying on the runway and overshooting the end. It's not like an arresting cable on an aircraft carrier ;)For some reason ABS is not working for you as it should and I'm afraid the advanced tutorial won't help you there. There's nothing you haven't done already if you're flying according to the basic tutorial. You arm ABS while on approach, you flare, engines go to idle, touchdown and ABS should start braking with a slight delay while the nose wheel is still in the air. That's it, nothing more nothing less for the inputs and clicks.Confirm you do NOT get an amber 'ABS DISARM' light on the glareshield panel?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Confirm you do NOT get an amber 'ABS DISARM' light on the glareshield panel?
Markus,I'll check this out tonight, I'm starting to wonder now if the engines are going to idle.I'll come back to you, thanks for your time.

Don't forget the 'ABS DISARM' amber light should come on when you apply your toe brakes but not before. Throttles not going to idle could be a problem, but then you wouldn't get reversers either.

Maybe a stupid piece of advice, but do you pull down the throttles before you reach the touchdown (if you use some throttle device)?