Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Clearing up SDK Confusion

Hi,I just wanted to clarify how many versions there are of the FSX SDK.Here is what I know:1) SDK version 1 is on the original Deluxe FSX DVD set.2) SDK version 1a is on the Acceleration FSX DVD.I hear mention that there is an SDK version 2 by looking thru this forum? Is this true, where do you get SDK version 2?Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

There are basically 3 versions of the SDK:SDK RTM (the version on the FSX DVD)SDK SP1A (the version that matches FSX SP1)SDK SP2 (the version that matches FSX SP2/XPack)There was also a "SDK SP1", which was really just an update to one tool in the RTM SDK and became a major naming issue once we decided to do a real SP1 release :-> The Acceleration(XPack) disk has copies of both the SDK SP1A and SDK SP2 installers. This is for a very weird reason, that never made any sense to me at the time, but then I'm just a programmer who relies on things like logic :-> - anyway, the "reasoning" went something like:XPack is equiv to buying the deluxe version of FSX, so XPack buyers should have access to the SDK even if they didn't buy deluxe originallyWe can't release a direct installing version of the SDK SP2 installer, it has to upgrade over an existing copy (which really meant uninstalling the old one then reinstalling the new one)We CAN release a direct installing version of the SDK SP1A (for some reason?) and then they can upgrade with the SDK SP2 version on top of thatSo both SDK installers are on the acceleration disk, one of them is specifically named which SP it is and the other one isn't and they are in two different subdirectories (one of them is in a directory and in a subdirectory of that same directory is the other version). Confusing as hell I know :->Tim

Thanks Beatle,When I looked up the link posted in this thread, I noticed on the Acceleration disc as you stated that both SP1a and the sdk.msi is located under the SDK folder. Is the sdk.msi the SDK SP2 module? Also, is this module different from the module that you would down load from the FSinsider website? By this, I mean, does the SDK SP2 module on the Acceleration disc have additional "stuff" for the Acceleration features that is above and beyond the one available from FSinsider as a download?Yes, you are correct, this is very confusing!Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Yes, the sdk.msi file is the SP2 version. I'm fairly certain it's the same as the one on fsinsider.com, but I never actually install our SDKs myself, since I have all the source :-> When I need to read the SDK docs, I use the online MSDN library ESP SDK docs.Tim

Guest ziporama

Here's a table of all SimConnect versions:1.0.20.0 - ESP RTM 10.0.61259.0 - FSX SP2 or Acceleration10.0.61242.0 - FSX SP1 10.0.60905.0 - FSX RTMEtienne

Ziporama,Thanks!Bill C.

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2