Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thaellar

Can I have 2 different FSX installs?

Guest Thaellar

Hi,Can I have 2 different FSX installs (diff directories on same drive) and have both of them work? I want to have one stay pristine or have very few select addons and the other contain all of my addons. Or will they conflict with each other. I'm using Vista x64.Thaellar

Well, yes you can, but you'd possibly be in breach of the licensing EULA. In case you have not read it, here's the relevant bit:b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per device basis.2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.a. Licensed Device. The licensed device is the device on which you use the software. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device. Except where this software is sold with development tools, this software is for entertainment purposes only. Where this software is sold with development tools, it may be used with those development tools as well as for entertainment purposes. In any event, this software cannot be part of an approved training program under the standards of the FAA or any other regulatory agency. Use of this software or any part of it to transfer data to another program not related to this software is prohibited.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Thaellar

Thanks for that info. Probably not worth it and i don't want to encourage other people to violate the EULA, but in re-reading it, "one copy" probably refers to the dvd set, not an installation.Thaellar

Hi,Can I have 2 different FSX installs (diff directories on same drive) and have both of them work? I want to have one stay pristine or have very few select addons and the other contain all of my addons. Or will they conflict with each other. I'm using Vista x64.Thaellar
I have both FSX-Acceleration installed and my previous FSX-SP1, however I don't use the SP1 version any linger. The problem with trying to have two FSX installs such as this is that some of the 'common'files could cause problems....I'm talking about two different versions ( SP1, Acceleration ).What I do to have a 'full-up' FSX and a 'trimmed down' FSX is simply to re-name the fsx.exe file.Then, a seperate fsx CFG file will be created with the new fsx_xxx.exe name.I have FSX_Military.exe, FSX_Propliner.exe, FSX_OZ.exe, FSX_A6.exe and FSX.exe, all withloke-named CFG files. In the fsx.CFG file you can enable different SimObject directories tomatch your needs.I have SimObjects in "Military_Aircraft", "A6_Aircraft", "Propliner_Aircraft", "Aircraft" and thedefault "Airplanes" folders as well as folders for my AI. These can be selectively enabled in the cfg file to tailor the included objects to your needs.Here is an example of my FSX_OZ.CFG file entry "Main" section:
[Main]User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes//SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\Boats//SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Misc//SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\AircraftSimObjectPaths.4=M:\FSX AI Aircraft//SimObjectPaths.5=M:\FSX Military AI//SimObjectPaths.8=I:\FSX Military Aircraft//SimObjectPaths.9=I:\FSX A6 AircraftSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Propliner AircraftSimObjectPaths.6=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT

I also have multiple copies of the FSX Scenery.cfg file with onlythe scenery enabled for the area I am intending to fly.I keep thos copies in seperate like-named folders in the same directoryas the Scenery.cfg file and simply copy the desired cfg file and replacethe 'main' cfg file when I want to switch areas.I have scenery.cfg files for Europe, USA, Hawaii and OZ plus the "All"condition.I also have two copies of my EXE.XML file...one with AiCarriers 'enabled' and the other with it 'disabled', so if I want to do CV Ops I use the 'enabled'copy.Using the above techniques you can easily configure different setups tomeet testing, VFR, IFR and other needs without having to worry aboutconflicts. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest Thaellar

Hey, I like that. Good thinking Paul. I'll give that whirl. Some simple batch files could go a long way toward creating a "sandbox" whenever I want to test something. Thanks!Thaellar

Well, yes you can, but you'd possibly be in breach of the licensing EULA. In case you have not read it, here's the relevant bit:b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per device basis.2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.a. Licensed Device. The licensed device is the device on which you use the software. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device. Except where this software is sold with development tools, this software is for entertainment purposes only. Where this software is sold with development tools, it may be used with those development tools as well as for entertainment purposes. In any event, this software cannot be part of an approved training program under the standards of the FAA or any other regulatory agency. Use of this software or any part of it to transfer data to another program not related to this software is prohibited.Al
I would have thought that part would, for example, relate to people attempting to install the same copy of FSX on their system, their neighbour's system and their friend's system. Can't imagine MS would care if somebody installed FSX on one PC any number of times they wished to if they could.

Guest Thaellar

I agree. Would make for a silly court case anyway you look at it.Thaellar

Yup, I doubt MS would come after you for sticking a legit copy of FSX on two computers in your own house, or sticking it on your drive twice, but I thought it was worth pointing out, since it is, at least if you take the letter of the EULA word for word, a breach, but, having said that, the way I read it, it sounds like you could install it twice, so long as one of the installs was for the purpose of trying out the SDK, and and it would be kind of hard to prove you had not been doing that, wouldn't it?Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I maintain two installations of both FS9 and FSX on the same drives...E:\FS9E:\FS9_VirginE:\FSXE:\FSX_VirginI use the "Virgin" installations for reference and "quick and easy" file restore purposes mostly, but will occasionally test a single aircraft or scenery during development.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator