Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

Turbulence and vertical air movement

I have seen an option for vertical air movement in Active Sky 6.5 which is enabled. Then I loaded a flight in FS9 with the F1 C172 taking of from rwy 9 at TNCM Juliana airport. This took me over some hills shortly after takeoff and than later I reached some clouds. Than I did the same in FSX with the same plane but with FSX built in realtime weather instead of Active Sky and again over the same hills and than later into some clouds. The comparison yielded this conclusion.Yes turbulence and vertical air movement is indeed different in FSX compared to FS9. In FSX I first noted that there was more of turbulence and I encountered it directly after takeoff. Than when passing over the hills there was an marked increase in both vertical air movement and turbulence. In FS9 I saw turbulence first when I got close to clouds. From what I have understood this makes FSX more realistic than FS9. This leads to my question.Can't we have it in FS9 also? What about upgrading Active Sky 6.5 to Active Sky Advanced?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

First you need to make sure you understand all the options in AS and set them right to what you want to do (head over to their forum here). 2nd, AS for fs9 will never feel the same as the air mass in FSX, as in FSX it is hard coded into the game engine while AS for FS9 simply uses what fs9 has to offer. Yes, FSX has a clear advantage for mass air of fs9 and AS is the best fs9 can do, but with the right settings, it feels pretty damn good.