Sign in to follow this  
Guest 413X3

convert bmp to dds

Guest 413X3

I have some repaints for an airplanes fs9 version, but I want to convert the bmp texture files to dds so i can use them in the fsx version. How can I do this? I tried dxtbmp but it seemed to resize the new texture and it didnt show up properly on the repaintThanks

I'm not sure you need to convert textures. I have used plenty of FS9 planes without problems. Also., I have used Dxtbmp extensively without resizing issues. Tell us a little more about what you are doing, and how you are doing it.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Easiest way to do it is with a batch conversion in Photoshop if you have the DDS plug in for PS (you can download a free plug in from NVidia, and/or Adobe that will enable PS to support DDS files).But if you don't have Photoshop you can do it manually in the (free) photo editing program Paint.net (www.getpaint.net). Open your image in Paint.net and save it as a DDS file and you will see an option to create mip maps, tick that and you are done.Mip Maps in case you did not know are several smaller versions of your texture image on the DDS file that FS uses to display the texture at different distances so that it does not have to scale the texture on the fly, which makes things look better in 3D applications such as FS and is a function of anisotropic filtering. The reason your texture probably didn't display correctly is that without generating all those mip map smaller versions of the image on the texture file, your texture is effectively the wrong size (or at least the right size, but with everything offset to a different location on the image), and that is why it doesn't map properly onto your aeroplane, with the mip maps on the file it will be the right size and will sit correctly, if the model had textures mapped from a DDS with mip maps. If on the other hand the original model had a texture mapped onto it that did not feature mip maps, and you try and use one that has, it can create the same problems with mapping going out of alignment for similar reasons.Here is a mip mapped DDS on which you can see the smaller mip maps:DDSimage.jpgHope that helps, if not, shout up for more assistance.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You can also use ImageTool.exe that comes with the FSX SDK. It will also do batch conversion. I'm not saying what tool is the best, just pointing out another option you may already have on your hard drive.Ron

DXTBMP works fine, with the caveat that you must flip the image and alpha yourself (DDS images are 'upside down'), and you must include mip maps.