Sign in to follow this  
ZachLW

Setting up LAN for WideFS

I have 2 computers with windows 7. Both on a wireless network. I can join a homegroup to share files and can see the shared files on second pc but only when I click on networks, it shows my second pc's name and I click on it and can see and open my fsx main folder with read/write selected as well. But when I click on the wideserver.exe it just sais waiting to connect and flight sim computer is running in fsx and it sais up top "waiting for clients". I put exceptions for both fsx and fscommander and wideserver in the firewalls. when I try to open fscommander it sais it needs to read the initial scenery files but the fsx file of the host pc isnt pickable in the fscommander menu. Fscommanders step by step guide is on an operating system so old Ive never seen it before and those selection names arent on windows seven so I've gotten totally lost. Please can someone either explain or link me to an easy to understand tutorial for windows 7 widefs setup. Thanks

Not sure here. You keep bringing up FS9 then FSX. As far as FSCommander they are different.1. WideFS server files and FSUIPC installed and registered in the FSX Module folder.2. WideFS client files installed on client computer.3. Properly shared files on the server computer ( FSX folder, usermy documentsFlight simulator X). I have found things work better by Network drive mapping on the client computer, the server FSX folder as a drive for running the FSC database manager4, From the FSCommander file, Put FSCFSXCFG in the root FSX folder and run the application. It points the MGR to the proper CFG file.5. Run FSCommander Database Manager.To use FSC run the WideFS client app and open FSC.Now there may be issues with your firewalls and UAC. Good luck with that. Could be here for hours explaining that. I would recommend not having FSC, WideFS client and FSX NOT installed in the program files directory. I'm not going to explain how to map network drives etc.
The 1 fs9 mention I made is asking what the FSX equivelant of the posters #2 item that needs to be shared because he is using fs9 in the guide and im using fsx but I got that part its the fsx.cfg. Now I have fsx installed in the default path, so I need to share or map the entire C drive of the fsx machine? Both UAC are off and I disabled both firewalls with same result. Can you explain what you mean by your #3 step because thats where Im not understanding the language " network drive mapping on client computer, the server FSX folder as a drive". In windows 7 does that mean make the C drive a library, because the only things it seems I can share besides the checkable boxes Picture,documents,printers etc is stuff in advanced sharing and it turns it into a library visible on second computer. If anyone who has done this on win7 can help me out Id be very greatfull!! ThanksEDIT - Ok after some googling I think u are saying once I can see the fsx folder on the client PC I should go into windows explorer and hit "map network drive" and that should make it a accesible drive from the client machines fscdatabase manager? And it will be the letter Z drive then correct? If I dont change anything? Does it matter or is there a benefit in being on a network as a homegroup or workgroup? Thanks Edited by joshleeman

Wow. I just came across this thread and the old "light" went off. Right now I'm networking Squawkbox using my laptop computer with everything else on the desktop (specs below). I've got an extra pentium 4.3 computer that's not being used. Certainly it's strong enough to handle my ASE (as well as REX for generating the wx textures) as well as Squawkbox. That might free up some significant resources on the main computer running FS9 with all my add-ons (UT, lots of payware aircraft, airports, etc.). My questions are whether I'll have trouble networking since the older computer is using the XP os and my main computer is Win7-64? I seem to remember some problems getting the two to work together - what do you think? Also, will moving ASE and REX to the p4 along with Squawkbox free up enough resources to make it worthwhile? Right now I don't think my laptop is capable of running both ASE and Squawkbox smoothly in a networked config. Thanks.

Edited by Chuck Dreier

It can be done but its a PITA. I use to have mixed computers with win7 and XP and had them networked but it just wasnt stable. Finally gave up a put Win7 on the other computer. There are websites explaining how to do it. Good luck.
I wonder if Win7-64 will work with a Pentium 4.3?? What do you think?

It can be done but its a PITA. I use to have mixed computers with win7 and XP and had them networked but it just wasnt stable. Finally gave up a put Win7 on the other computer. There are websites explaining how to do it. Good luck.
Hey I got the files visible on both pc's now and can choose the mounted Z for the first step, but the second scenery part is greted out and nothings pickable. This is a problem because the fscommander app that you put in the fsx root folder isnt finding what it needs? I get the first screen telling me what it does and when I hit ok it sais copying couldnt be completed?? Whats the deal? If fscommander is already installed and database mgr working on my host fsx pc cant I somehow use that database copy? Or could it being on the fsx PC be whats causing the problem with the database mgr? This is so frustrating they charge all this money for this software and when it wont work there like oh well google it.

Josh, now you're getting me confused. This is the forum for FS2004 (FS9) ??? :(
its titled setting up lan for wideFS, I got to it from google so it could be sim specific but the toker guy was helping with widefs so i was clarifying cus this is a pain in my &@($*