Sign in to follow this  

Clouds still flat in FS2004?!? or so it seems!

I just watched the video on the making of clouds in FS2004 and from what I understand clouds are still flat right?I mean they showed the artists placing flat images of 'sprites' which always point towards the camera.That is a 2D cloud then right?Anyway..FS2004 has not sold me yet based on what I see but I'm sure the 3rd party developers are gonna make it 1000% better like they did with FS2002.Take careMike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, they are technically still 2D. But, when you place a whole bunch of 2D clouds together to form a single cloud, you get a pretty decent 3D effect.At least, that's the thinking....James

Hi, "I just watched the video on the making of clouds in FS2004 and from what I understand clouds are still flat right?I mean they showed the artists placing flat images of 'sprites' which always point towards the camera."This is how you get "volumetric clouds" for not affecting alot of frame rate. "Volumetric clouds" can be confusing, IL 2 sturmovic use the same technique, many sprite on one position that's turn in subtle way! You can use others technique but your frame rate hit will be huge impact, useless for the minor difference. usefull only on basic one cumulus type on a sim, it is not the case of fs2004.Clouds always turn in your aircraft and from what's I understand they have illiminate the problem by doing like sturmovic by adding many 3d sprite togheter + in fs2004 they form and disipate.Specialy in fs2004 you will have many cloud formation type not seen on others sim. It is easy to only have one type of cumulus clouds and include this in a sim. Fs2004 have done almost all clouds type, I have count near 11 clouds type, all big Cb type, all cumulus type, full 3d altocumulus, high level clouds etc. Specialy the capability will be far superior than fs2002. In Avsim preview:-Mapping cloud types to real world atmospheric physics. -Volumetric cloud types that build and dissipate -These are selected dynamically by the simulator as you fly through -changing weather conditions. -The dynamic sky colors system, new rain, snow and lightning effects, -Cloud density vary with altitude, air density, temperature and dew -point. Transparency changes as you fly through clouds -Also cloud colors change with time-of-day producing dazzling dawn and sunset effects. -The sky also darkens as you reach higher altitudes. The video was available for a while at the same time when the web site is online.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Oh I see now. They have many planes that each turns on its own axis. That makes sense now. Nice technique.Mike