Sign in to follow this  
DF9AA

MD11 Russia/China airspace

Hi, I planned a trip from EKCH to VTBSSoon after passing the Baltic Sea I was to enter the russian airspace where the levels are in METER - iinitial FL was 330 and thenit should be 10100m or FL331 ( as to be entered in the 747 )The FMC accepted 330/331/367/370/390 for the route.I changed in the MD11 to METER indication and entered 10100mThe airplanne started to climb to 10100 but stopped at 10058 m and on the PFD a blue indication came up with 10090mAlso it showed "PROF to 10100""HOLD 10058m"The a/c was ready for FL331 but did not climb all the way up to 10100mI started to climb with V/S to 10100m - but the the planned altitudes in FMC disappeared and could not be entered again . . . Any ideas ?

H'mm that's wierd.Does it establish the correct altitudes if you keep it in feet? Maybe you'll just have to keep it in Imperial and take a quick glance at metric every once a while...Ohh an another thing...it's spelt metre..except in the States...lol...just one of my pet peeves.Patrick H

1. You can't enter FL331 or FL367 in the MD11 for 10100m or 11100m like in the 7472. the INIT page would not accept 330/10100/11100/370/390 but it has accepted 330/331/367/370/390

Looking round in other forums, etc it seems that if the a/c has only a feet altimeter then the pilot/copilot looks at a chart with conversions and flies to that. If a metric/feet altimeter then it's flown as altiude hold.Seem the planes built in China/Russia have the same problem flying into the rest of the world and have to use a conversion chart as well.I believe it's Turkmenistan now uses metric below FL120 and feet above.... no wonder it's confusing.John Ellison