Sign in to follow this  
navymmw

PMDG I hate you......really

I already have 5GB of ram and windows 64bit, however my ram speed is only like 400mhz so I guess I should buy newer ram, at least that is what people are recomending. Does that seem like it would make a big difference?

I already have 5GB of ram and windows 64bit, however my ram speed is only like 400mhz
You listed above 5120 MB of RAM, that's rather strange number specially that you said "it came with the computer". Some folks here probably read it as 512 MB. Anyway, you should really go to the hardware forum here on Avsim to discuss your upgrade options, I know that it is important to match RAM with the CPU otherwise you will be wasting money by paying for some fast RAM that your system will never utilize. But I am no expert - you need to ask those question on another forum.

Hello fellow Pilots,Long & tricky story with FSX...After more than 1 year of CTD and several PC and OS updates/upgrades, what i can say about FSX right now is WHAOUUU...Once you get the big picture, understand how work FSX and last but not least the FSX.CFG file tweaks you should have a more than good FSX.For now i run FSX Gold + AccelPack on a Vista64 home premium with a Dual Core 2.66 Non ovclked, 8Gb Ram and a Superb ATI Radeon 4870.(good PC but nothing Extravanganza)...Despite all these good news, for me, they are still few things that are not OK, mean not working, eg: Aircrafts addons like 737 PIC, Conquest 441, CLS 747 which still generate CTD...(Maybe for the 737PIC an 64bit issue but for the 2 others ?), 757 CapSim, levelD 767 which are good but not trouble free even if they are not generate CTD...I have to add that, all the FSX default Aircrafts and choppers are trouble free... Ok that's a little restrictive if you like flying airplanes with "real" systems and Avionics but at least that's TROUBLE FREE and you can always add more detail, eg: functional Cockpit and above all add a lot of new repaint, for now i have 78 744, 81 738, 12 King Air350, 25 A321, 7 A332, a lot of Albatross, Beaver, Goose etc without forget F18 and F14.The next step for me is going to PMDG 744, 737NG and the J41 BUT, again, i have to upgrade my CPU, this time a DualCore Ovclcked to 4 GHz with all the stuff required for...Here's my little FSX story...Cheers and Fly Safely on the real.Yves

Yves - your avatar looks sinister.5120 Mb is an odd size, but possible.Best regards,Robin.

1GB = 1024MB 5 x 1024 = 5120 ... thus -> 5Gb = 5120MB
First of all the main point of my observation was that out-of-a-shelf computers having 5 Gb is a rather unusual thing. They build computers these days with 1,2,3,4, 6 Gb but you would be hard pressed to find a factory PC with 5 GB.Secondly you are wrong about 1 GB = 1024 MB. In the world of RAM memory 1 Gb = 1024^3 = 1073741824 bytes (exact) or equivalently 2 to the power of 30. In the word of hard drive 1 Gb storage would still be 1,000,000,000 bytes. These are basic computer facts that I hope should not surprise anyone who is computer literate.

Guest 413X3

All you need is more system memory to run FSX well. If you want to start maxing out everything then you should upgrade to an i7 and motherboard, but then you would also need to buy new memory, a new video card, and a more powerful power supply. Kind of pointless to throw away all that money when just 2gb of ram and the rest of your system will run fsx pretty well by itself

Secondly you are wrong about 5 GB = 5120 MB. In the world of RAM memory 1 Gb = 1024^3 = 1073741824 bytes (exact) or equivalently 2 to the power of 30.
You've really proven yourself wrong in the first line. 1GB = 1024 ^ 3 - correct, because 1KB = 1024 bytes and because 1MB = 1024 kilobytes. Of course, since 1GB = 1024MB, indeed it is correct that 1GB is 1024^3 bytes. Following that logic, 5GB is indeed 5 x 1024^3, which is 5 x 1024 x 1024^2 (5 x 1024 MB = 5120MB, since 1MB = 1024 ^ 2).EDIT: Example with a different unit - Volts. 1KV = 1000^1 volts, 1MV = 1000KV = 1000^2 volts, 1GV = 1000MV = 1000^3 volts. See the resemblance? Now, officially - as an SI prefix KILO does mean 1.000 (10^3) and KIBI (pronounced: kee-bee) is 2^10 - but that's just splitting hairs. Any "computer literate" reader will be able to make the distinction, based on context, quite easily. We are, indeed talking about RAM, not HDD space, so I don't see why you're bringing that up.

This forum isn't worth it anymore. Every other post is some pissing contest. Who cares about the correct calculation of RAM. Or who cares if REX has nothing to do with PMDG. I think everyone should remember this a hobby, a computer game -most people located on this forum are not real pilots - so just chill out. Remember that we do this for fun. I think if you feel the need to argue about RAM - you should get away from the computer and go for a bike ride.Blake

This forum isn't worth it anymore. Every other post is some pissing contest. Who cares about the correct calculation of RAM. Or who cares if REX has nothing to do with PMDG. I think everyone should remember this a hobby, a computer game -most people located on this forum are not real pilots - so just chill out. Remember that we do this for fun. I think if you feel the need to argue about RAM - you should get away from the computer and go for a bike ride.Blake

I'm not arguing about RAM, I'm arguing the "you are wrong" statement of his. RAM just happens to be the instrument used to get the point across. :( Nevertheless, I'll be quiet now.... :(

Yves - your avatar looks sinister.5120 Mb is an odd size, but possible.Best regards,Robin.
Hi RobinIs that better ?Cheers