Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

old ATI X850 - 256 megs video ram

I've got an ATI X850 - 256 megs video card. I recently upgraded to an E8400 and 4 gigs ram. Me thinks it's time for a new video card. I would like to stay with ATI.What's around for say 300 bucks? My motherborad is a gigabiyte EP45-UD3P if that helps. 512 megs video ram seems to be the norm. Would 1 gig be better?JimCYWG

You should most definitely get a new video card. If you must stay with ATi, I'd suggest you wait until at least September 10th, when ATi is set to unveil their new lineup of DX11 graphics cards.

Or if you don't feel like waiting I suggest the ATi radeon 4890 for about 250$ I personally love Ati aswell! :(

If you can't wait don't complain when DX11 cards come out next month and offer significantly more performance and new features for the same price.

Thanks for all the info. No I won't complain as I am usually a few years behind the times. I just took out a 3 1/2" floppy at work and everyone laughed. :( JimCYWG

So I bought an ATI 4890 for 225 bucks. I like it. Faster then the old card. Color seems better too.They had ATI's newest card but it was 425. A little too much. Might have a hard time hiding the extra 200 bucks from the wife. :( JimCYWG

I've got an ATI X850 - 256 megs video card. I recently upgraded to an E8400 and 4 gigs ram. Me thinks it's time for a new video card. I would like to stay with ATI.What's around for say 300 bucks? My motherborad is a gigabiyte EP45-UD3P if that helps. 512 megs video ram seems to be the norm. Would 1 gig be better?JimCYWG
Jim, until you remove that puppy, try the ATI 7.10 driver suite. It was one of the last ones that were still tuned primarily for our cards and the early 19xx's.You can download it from the ATI site and look at LEGACY drivers.

I had no choice Mitch, the old ATI packed it in a couple days ago.JimCYWG

I had no choice Mitch, the old ATI packed it in a couple days ago.JimCYWG
------------------------------------------------------------Sorry to hear that, Jim. You know...if you were happy with that card's performance...I'd like to suggest that you call around your town or city's computer swap/repair shops. You'd be surprised what vid cards you can find...and for a pittance of their original prices. I found another ATI 1950 Pro 256 meg in just that manner for one of my son's friends. Price?.....$25.00! Worked/is working perfectly. Just a thought....and the ATI 1950 Pro REALLY KICKS! :) Use the 7.10 drivers for it!Mitch

This is a neat thing about the new video card. I have a dual boot system. When I turn on the computer it will automatically boot to D drive. That's how I have it configured. I use C drive for FS. I think the C drive D drive thing for FS has been discussed before. To boot to C drive I have to touch the down arrow button and then the enter key. With my old video card, as the system is booting up the screen that lets you decide which OS to boot to would not even show itself. That means that thorugh the boot up, when the keyboard comes alive you can hit the down arrow and enter key and you would not see the screen I described above. The new card is so fast that if I hit the down arrow and enter keys, the screen to decide which operating system will start displays for a second and then the system boots up to the selected operating system. Don't need no Tom's hardware system here. That's the kind of stuff Tom doesn't report on.That is fast.JimCYWG