Sign in to follow this  
Bearracing

FS-2004 - Lens Flare - Vote It Up, or Vote it Down.

As for me...I want a switch to turn it off !!! :-violinBob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Guest JonP01

>As for me...>>I want a switch to turn it off !!! :-violin>>Bob (Lecanto, Fl)>>AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+>MSI, K7T266 XP Pro>PC 2100 DDR, 1024 MB>XP, Home Edition >Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb and>PNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32>WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100>Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+>CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound Card>CH Prod, Pedals - Sound CardAccording to previous forum posts by press beta users, the lens flare can be turned on or off.

I'd have to see it in action before I could vote (the static screenshots just don't show enough of the effect for me).... But for what it's worth, any option like that should be configurable via a switch. Having said that, I would prefer it, as I view spot view as being from the perspective of an aircraft flying in tandem with another, vs. a bird's eye view. Most birds just can't keep up.... :)

I will probably have it switched off for general flying, but doesn't it make screenshots look really sweet!!!

I've tested FS2004 at E3 and I have to say that I really liked the lens flare. It makes the experience feel a little more real. It's a lot better than what we currently have in FS2002.Norbert

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Flare makes it more real? Only if you are looking at still pictures. My eyes have never seen lens flare except in photos taken with sun/light source in the background with it bouncing off the inside barrel of the lens tube. I don't think my iris is hex shaped?BobS

Think of external view in a new light - you are a videographer in a chase plane taking video of your aircraft. You will get lens flare from many video cameras.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

It's a substitute for blinding light, otherwise the screen would have to change to full white, but in this case the lens flare works better.It's an optical illusion and I feel it works well in the sim.

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Yep, I can see/have lens flare with my real DV camcorder. A lens shade helps reduce the reflections on the inside of the lens tube. Will you see the "hex" of the flare when the video is playing? Only if you stop action or if the camera/subject/light source is not moving relative to each other? Like I said, I think the lens flare is great for still pictures provided it is applied where it should be. As you know, Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro have the ability to add lens flare complete with the hex, with a click.BobS

Guest JonP01

True, except that unless I intentionally wanted the effect, I would make every posible effort to appropriately shield my lens and adjust the angles of my shots to eliminate it. Sometimes I wonder if game developers incorporate lens flare for no other reason than they can and that it looks nice :-lol

But is simulates not human eye vision but camera vision. If a human beeing looks into the sun he/she will be blinded. The sun glare effect as it is in FS2002 does this fact much, much more justice than lens flare. Lens Flare you only get on photos, movies and videos not in real life.Wolfgang

Hey Norbert,What speed computer were they using at E3, and what was your overall impression of framerates?Thanks,Robb

I (they)used a Dell XPS P4 with HT - 3GHZ/800MHz Front Side Bus1024 MB DDR SDRAM @ 400 MHz128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro120 GB Ultra Hard DriveI liked the computer so much that I decided to buy it for myself, and now it sits comfortable at my home.I saw some flickering and frame loss around heavy weather at LAX, but I'm not sure what was causing this (a lot of people were messing around with the computer throughout the day). I had all the settings maxed out, but it was still pretty smooth. YOU WILL NEED a strong computer to run FS2004 smoothly.I hope that helps!Norbert