Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

FSUIPC is now Payware???

HiVery well said.I could`nt agree more.Chances are I used on of your creations at one point so thanks for your efforts and the spirit in which they were given.

I have to ask a couple of questions....-first, there is already a lengthy thread on the subject--why didn't you contribute there, vs. drawing attention to your thoughts via a separate thread. Are your concerns that unique?-second, this is your first post to the forum, to comment on this issue? If you feel our hobby a way of life, why haven't you been participating with screenshots, anecdotes, helpful advice? Why make your first contribution a rant?Now, just sit back a sec and listen. Payware vendors have been profiting from Pete's work for a long time. Does Pete get paid? I doubt it. Have you ever opened a thread citing the injustice of this? Even I read Pete wrong when I first learned this was coming. I thought of it from my own selfish perspective. But being a freeware contributor myself, I know the pressure Pete feels. And I think in his case, it's come down to a choice where he has to get paid to be able to update his program. If I had a community begging me to keep my apps up to date, and I couldn't as I needed means of support, then I'd be left with the same choice. My work doesn't rate the praise Pete's does, so I have no one begging me.Pete is making some allowances for freeware tools. But the man deserves to make a living based on his talent. We live in a free market--not a social commune where everyone is expected to share.My rant is over....

Guest Bigshot

ditto here too! To the original poster. Well said.

"a vile commercially motivated enterprise"what, are you talking about? It is still a hobby for aviation enthusiasts. there are hobbyists who create for the pleasure of creation. There are people who want to make a little money for their efforts that you have no hesitation in using for free. What have you ever contributed to the hobby? I admit, I have neither the time, talent nor inclination to make scenery, planes, etc. I appreciate the freeware, but know that I have no entitlement to any of it, except out of the gracious generosity of the creators.Mr. Dawson has made one of the most significant creations for the hobby. I do not blame him, or anyone else, who decides it is time to charge for the effort. Especially with FSUIPC, this software has made several commercial products possible. Why should not Dawson benefit, too.BTW, do you think Orville and Wilbur just built their first plane for the sheer pleasure? Sure, they were tinkerers and experimenters, but the profit motive guides progress, pure and simple.Sherm

No one forces anyone to release anything as freeware. If you enjoy the hobby and want to contribute to further it, have fun. If your a businessman looking for avenues of profit, good luck. Just make a distinction about what role you are actually wanting to have.

It is obvious from your comments you have not taken the time to read and understand his comments.Please do this before you make your second post to the forum...RegardsRussell Jourdain (NZL007/ZK-RHJ)

Guest racartron

Unfortunately the Wright brothers were so concerned someone else might steal their ideas, they spent all their time in the Patent office and court roomsletting the real entrepreneurs of flight pass 'em by. Such a thing as being too protective of your inventions.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Hey CiEveryone is entitled to their opinion.Just beat it bub

Well, by your own thought, you are telling me I don't have a right to my opinion. So I suggest you be the one to get lost, dude....

well the way i see it is all the payware companies (PSS,Wilcopub, Dreamfleet, etc) should be forking aver a percentage of their profits to pete. sorry payware companies, i love your products but you should be paying pete some royalties.

The only difference is that I`m not going crying to the moderators.Do you do that with every post you don`t like?Go find a kleenex and have a good blow.It`s just a shame you edited your post.