Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Oceanic Express Twin Otter

Knowing this all we can give the plane some nice red pitots...........by creating a (fantasy) hatch.WhahahahahahahaCheersLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

why would the pitot tube pick up its color from two random areas of the fuselage like that? Tim
These texture mapping decisions are made by the modeler when they create the models. It is not all that uncommon to run across this issue. The default planes are loaded with this kind of stuff and some of it makes no sense at all to the repainter. It is particularly annoying when a small part like this is mapped to another part of the plane when there are blank places on the texture sheet. The only thing we can do as repainters is find workarounds or live with it.
Also, how the heck did you find this out? Did you use the 3D model in real time to see what affected the pitot tube as you worked with the diffuse map?
Using the line method is a quick way to locate issues with FSRepaint.Another method I use is called PanelFinder. It is available here - http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/dlcat-general-12/I find it useful for "big picture assessment", and use the line method in FSRepaint for "down to the pixel" fine tuning.One nice benefit of FS Repaint, if you have an editing program that uses layers you can use the line method to locate a spot, take a screenshot of it, and add it as a layer in your editing program. I find this very handy.Hope this helps,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks guys, I actually learned a lot from this little exercise. This painting thing is not nearly as straightforward as one might expect.

Another method I use is called PanelFinder. It is available here - http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/dlcat-general-12/Yes I know the program it works OK and is not precise.Using the moving line method is the fastest way to do the job.No need to change files.It has never taken me more than a few minutes to find a spot.The everage time is less than one minute. ( I did it hundreds of times)Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Ah yes, Leen at his best : finding tedious little irritating spots and messing about until he found the answer. I see no joy whatsoever in this sort of things. Luckily Leen does..;)

Aren't you the guy who stares at a blue screen all day making dents and rivets !? :-D

re:PanelFinderYes I know the program it works OK and is not precise.
I am aware it is not "precise" which is why I said
I find it useful for "big picture assessment
Using the moving line method is the fastest way to do the job.It has never taken me more than a few minutes to find a spot.The everage time is less than one minute. ( I did it hundreds of times)
Repainting, for me, is a hobby, not a race.
No need to change files.It has never taken me more than a few minutes to find a spot.The everage time is less than one minute. ( I did it hundreds of times)
I can open a texture in DXTBmp, send it to Photoshop, add Panelfinder as a layer, send it back to DXTBmp, save it, and see it in FS Repaint in less time than it took me to type this. And in doing so see mapping issues on the whole plane (or at least what is covered by that texture sheet) not just one pixel. Again, "big picture". And still, not a race.The line method works great for fine tuning details. I have used it for a long time. From long before I knew there was a Wiki about it.I was simply offering another option to the OP, and anyone else who reads this.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif