Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Upgrade from RC to RTM

Hi,I'd like to pre order Win7 but sorry but I'm a bit lost..I have the RC version installed on my system as unique OS (I own the genuine Windows Vista Ultimate DVDs but got rid of the OS from my computer).1) Can I install the RTM version over the RC without having to reinstall FSX and the other applications?2) If the answer is yes, will it possible with both the Full version and the Upgrade version?3) If I purchase the Upgrade version and once need to do a fresh reinstall on a new HD, will it be possible or will I need the Full version?Thanks in advance for your answers :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1) Can I install the RTM version over the RC without having to reinstall FSX and the other applications?
Normally I don't recommend upgrading, it is much better to do a clean install, but it is possible.I recently upgraded from a RC Ultimate version to RTM Enterprise version. You have to make a few changes though since it is not possible out of the box.I used the following guide Upgrade W7 RC to RTMIt is a simple change and worked perfectly on my business PC. Since I don't have FSX on it I don't know about any specific FSX problems, but everything else works so I don't see why it shouldn't. If you are upgrading to an Ultimate version you probably don't have to do the first step.
2) If the answer is yes, will it possible with both the Full version and the Upgrade version?
I'm not sure about that but my guess would be yes
3) If I purchase the Upgrade version and once need to do a fresh reinstall on a new HD, will it be possible or will I need the Full version?
in the past, upgrade versions didn't require an previous version to be installed. I don't know if this has changed.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Normally I don't recommend upgrading, it is much better to do a clean install, but it is possible.I recently upgraded from a RC Ultimate version to RTM Enterprise version. You have to make a few changes though since it is not possible out of the box.I used the following guide Upgrade W7 RC to RTMIt is a simple change and worked perfectly on my business PC. Since I don't have FSX on it I don't know about any specific FSX problems, but everything else works so I don't see why it shouldn't. If you are upgrading to an Ultimate version you probably don't have to do the first step.I'm not sure about that but my guess would be yesin the past, upgrade versions didn't require an previous version to be installed. I don't know if this has changed.
Thanks a lot :--)Did you upgrade from RC to RTM using the full Enterprise version or the upgrade?(very interesting guide BTW, thank you for the link!)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi,I'd like to pre order Win7 but sorry but I'm a bit lost..I have the RC version installed on my system as unique OS (I own the genuine Windows Vista Ultimate DVDs but got rid of the OS from my computer).1) Can I install the RTM version over the RC without having to reinstall FSX and the other applications?2) If the answer is yes, will it possible with both the Full version and the Upgrade version?3) If I purchase the Upgrade version and once need to do a fresh reinstall on a new HD, will it be possible or will I need the Full version?Thanks in advance for your answers :--)
1. Yes. I did it with my WIN7 Build7100. Is now upgraded to RTM.2. Probably yes. The upgrade is named 'upgrade' for a reason :) And from a beta to the final RTM shouldn't matter.3. I guess so. So maybe it's better to buy the full version. You don't wanne get in the situation where you'd have to install Vista first and then upgrade. Better to start with a clean sheet.

Thanks Eric!:--)

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest ziporama

In prior years, to be able to do an upgrade, the Microsoft O/S installer looked for a prior activated version installed on the hard disk, although you could do a full install instead of an upgrade of the current install. In other words, the setup program for the upgrade version had some type of validation process to see if your computer qualified or not. This was the case for windows 95->98->millenium->xp->vista. I suppose it will be the same for W7.The worst case scenario I would think in this case is you will have to re-install Vista first, then run the windows 7 installer for the update version. That's a pain though but has been done.Etienne

I had issues upgrading win vista home premium to win7 pro rtm on the laptop, however on the desktop i just formatted from vista ultimate to win 7 pro (was getting slow and cluttered anyway, why not?)