Sign in to follow this  

Blurries and stuttering

Hi guys, im after your advice here, im running fsx on windows 7 64 with sliders about halfway and in wilcos a320 or level d 767 at egkk(gatwick) uk 2000 on the ground im getting fps of around 8-23. Firstly is it normal to get these jumps in fps, then when airborn and away from the airport fps level out to around 24-28 but i start getting blurries and stuttering. Ive tuned fsx as instructed by Nick N but i cant get rid off the above problems. I would be very thankfull for any of your suggestions on how i can overcome these little nightmares.Thanks for any/all your suggestionsChrisSpecs:e8400 @3.00 ghzati 4870 1 gb slightly o/c4gb ddr2asus p5ql-e 1tbfsx on windows 7 64/ dual booted

Chris Howard

1st thing to try: rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.backup (in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\), fire up FSX and let it create you a brand new fsx.cfg. Then do the normal slider tweakings as you prefer. If you want/have to, you might do some manual fsx.cfg tweakings:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700[Main]DisablePreload=1[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=?If this isn't enough, then you're into some serious tweaking with a lot of trial/error. Not much to gain after the above though. Use the backup if you need to return to your previous config.

1st thing to try: rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.backup (in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\), fire up FSX and let it create you a brand new fsx.cfg. Then do the normal slider tweakings as you prefer. If you want/have to, you might do some manual fsx.cfg tweakings:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700[Main]DisablePreload=1[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=?If this isn't enough, then you're into some serious tweaking with a lot of trial/error. Not much to gain after the above though. Use the backup if you need to return to your previous config.
Cheers Yallu will give this a try, as for the affinity mask what do i put where the ? is. I have dual core Chris

Chris Howard

Cheers Yallu will give this a try, as for the affinity mask what do i put where the ? is. I have dual core Chris
1 = 1 core3 = 2 cores7 = 3 cores15 = 4 cores

Thanks again!Chris

Chris Howard

Hi Chris.The London area is notorious for bad performance, particularly if you have high levels of AI and a complex add-on aircraft. I would try Scotland first, say Glasgow and see how your system runs there. There are parts of the FSX world when coupled with complex add-ons and high settings simply become unflyable.Your ATI card will also be letting you down, particularly with lots of clouds. I ditched mine for a GTX285 and the difference was very noticable.I avoid the London area in FSX.Steve

Stephen Munn

Guest Longyear
Some people have had good results from setting [Affinitymask] to =14, on a quad core, rather than 15.15 will spread FSX across all 4 cores. But this still includes core 0, which the OS is running on, so can cause issues. Setting it to 14 on a quad core, means that FSX will run on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cores only. Whilst running on 3 cored rather than 4 may not seem as effective the main fact here is that Core 0 (the 1st core) is left alone to run the OS. FSX then runs on the remaining 3 cores, unaffected by the OS's performance demands.Try it - I did and have never looked back. Particularly good for stutters and microstutters.David.

Hi Chris.The London area is notorious for bad performance, particularly if you have high levels of AI and a complex add-on aircraft.I would try Scotland first, say Glasgow and see how your system runs there. There are parts of the FSX world when coupled with complex add-ons and high settings simply become unflyable.Your ATI card will also be letting you down, particularly with lots of clouds. I ditched mine for a GTX285 and the difference was very noticable.I avoid the London area in FSX.Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for your input mate, i had a feeling the ati card would be letting me down, i read on Nick N's tuning guide that it would struggle in heavy weather but got to get my watercooling to o/c my e8400 before i can get a gtx285 but that is next on my list of upgrades!!Chris

Chris Howard

Some people have had good results from setting [Affinitymask] to =14, on a quad core, rather than 15.15 will spread FSX across all 4 cores. But this still includes core 0, which the OS is running on, so can cause issues. Setting it to 14 on a quad core, means that FSX will run on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cores only. Whilst running on 3 cored rather than 4 may not seem as effective the main fact here is that Core 0 (the 1st core) is left alone to run the OS. FSX then runs on the remaining 3 cores, unaffected by the OS's performance demands.Try it - I did and have never looked back. Particularly good for stutters and microstutters.David.
Hi David, so do you recomend i put the affinitymask tweak in my cfg as 3 as i have dual core. I only have service pack 1+2 in fsx and i read somewhere that unless you have acceleration installed there is no point. Is this true?Thanks for your inputChris

Chris Howard

Hi guys, well ive got rid of those blurries but cant get rid of that damn stuttering/microstutters. Need some more help here pleaseThankyouChris

Chris Howard

Hi Chris.The London area is notorious for bad performance, particularly if you have high levels of AI and a complex add-on aircraft. I would try Scotland first, say Glasgow and see how your system runs there. There are parts of the FSX world when coupled with complex add-ons and high settings simply become unflyable.Your ATI card will also be letting you down, particularly with lots of clouds. I ditched mine for a GTX285 and the difference was very noticable.I avoid the London area in FSX.Steve
Ditto for San Francisco.

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png