Sign in to follow this  
ailchim

False TAT temperature indication with PMDG MD-11

i can also report my first experience of this problem just yesterday...fs9.1, asa (up to date), wilco/feelthere e-jet series (v 1.6), vista64 os (up to date), approx 3 hrs running the sim, on-line (vatsim) weather data.problem occured near waypoint ipkon (from memory) south of java, f380.completed crossing of oz with same setup and add-ons earlier in the day (on-line for around 6hrs) without issue.for info.

An observation.I just ran the same departure twice departing from SLLP using the LDS 767. The first time I followed my normal procedure which includes loading the flight plan into ASA. Sure enough, climbing through FL310 the SAT increased to 15 and stayed there.The second time I didn't load the flight plan into ASA and I am currently at FL390 with a SAT of -52 and no hint of any fluctuations.Maybe this helps?Adam
Scrap that.Adam

Hi,Can I re-cap a bit?1. Only these planes and nobody will try a default plane that DOES show TAT? This might help tell us if it is ASA, Simconnect, or FSX.2. Some see this and then not?3. This can also happen with FSX weather?4. What does the TAT report on the panel of these planes? I know it effects the engines, but what does the panel show?I can't do anything but to ask these questions and try to help.Thanks,

Hi,Can I re-cap a bit?1. Only these planes and nobody will try a default plane that DOES show TAT? This might help tell us if it is ASA, Simconnect, or FSX.2. Some see this and then not?3. This can also happen with FSX weather?4. What does the TAT report on the panel of these planes? I know it effects the engines, but what does the panel show?I can't do anything but to ask these questions and try to help.Thanks,
1. Just tried a default aircraft, the 737-800. It shows the TAT. I witnessed the same problem.2. I don't know why it comes and goes.3. I will try this next.4. According to the Level-D 767 panel, the TAT is very high, between 40 and 50 and the SAT (OAT) is 15. The 15 degree SAT is confirmed by the FSUIPC readout. The default 737 only shows TAT and it is extremely high, but the FSUIPC readout of SAT is 15 at FL270.Adam

I'm seeing it on the PMDG MD-11.Rather that a normal TAT of somewhere around minus 15 degrees at altitude, the display swings to somewhere around plus 50 degrees, which triggers the thrust reduction.If you can hold on to the plane long enough, the temperature seems to revert back to a normal level - although it's worth remembering that in addition to moving further along the flightplan, I've probably also lost c. 10,000 ft of altitude by then.Refreshing ASA doesn't seem to clear the problem but switching over to FS weather and letting it load a weather set, and then going back to ASA and reloading does clear it - I think - at least it did on the couple of occasions I tried it.

ngxu_banner.png

I'm seeing it on the PMDG MD-11.Rather that a normal TAT of somewhere around minus 15 degrees at altitude, the display swings to somewhere around plus 50 degrees, which triggers the thrust reduction.If you can hold on to the plane long enough, the temperature seems to revert back to a normal level - although it's worth remembering that in addition to moving further along the flightplan, I've probably also lost c. 10,000 ft of altitude by then.Refreshing ASA doesn't seem to clear the problem but switching over to FS weather and letting it load a weather set, and then going back to ASA and reloading does clear it - I think - at least it did on the couple of occasions I tried it.
Saw this same issue with the PSS T7 and FS9 the other day... One minute I am happily flying around at FL390, the next the temp was +50, I was jumping and dropping 10-15k feet at a time (pressure?) but it didn't seem like the plane was actually moving. One second I was at FL390, then instantly FL500 but I never climbed anywhere and I was getting cabin pressure warnings, then, a minute later I was at 340 and altitude said it was dropping despite being in a 500 FPM climb! Nothing in the cockpit seemed to match what was happening outside. The only thing I could do was to shut down ASA altogether, re-start it and then let it sync up all over again. Then I was happily at FL390 all over again with no issues and mind you I never adjusted the MCP, just tried to mange my VSpeed based on what the instruments were reporting. But in the middle I was jumping/falling by thousands of feet, airspeed was crashing then registering overspeed, TAT was up to +50 then -15 in a second. I was ready to throw my computer through the wall as this was happening 9 hours into a 10 hour flight... I did notice that every time the altitude seemed to change by thousands of feet in a second ASA was trying to write Updrafts/downdrafts but they were like 30fpm not 10000FPM. When I reset ASA altogether I disabled updrafts/downdrafts entirely...Just so so frustrating, it seems that in addition to the cloud popping I am getting temperature popping, pressure popping and just general unreliability. -Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Adam,Do you recall what temp ASA was reporting with your Level D flight?Thanks,

Adam,Do you recall what temp ASA was reporting with your Level D flight?Thanks,
I don't remember anything looking out of the ordinary. Is there a specific place I should watch next time?Adam

Guest Paulo7777587

Hello guys... Sorry for my english. I think I can help you find a solution. A have the same problem with TAT in my PMDG MD-11. I use default weather and only addon wich I have is one scenery from aerosoft. I have never had problem with TAT when I was flying offline with DEFAULT WEATHER THEME (no update during flight, just fait weather theme). I was flying same flight many times without problem. Now I connect to VATSIM with FsInn and copilot and wow, what did not happend in FL300 - TAT increase to 50 and plane start reducing thrust and it was impossible get to FL350. I tried this flight twice on VATSIM with weather updating and always the same TAT problem. When I during the flight when TAT is 50 disconnect from Vatsim, quit FSinn and load default FSX weather theme TAT immediately decrease to approx 10. I always load before stored flight and Panel state and then I go - no problem with fair weather theme (when I saved flight I had this theme loaded and programmming FMC) but when updating real weather from Fsinn than I got this annoing problem. Again, sorry for my english. Hope this help you find solution

Hello guys... Sorry for my english. I think I can help you find a solution. A have the same problem with TAT in my PMDG MD-11. I use default weather and only addon wich I have is one scenery from aerosoft. I have never had problem with TAT when I was flying offline with DEFAULT WEATHER THEME (no update during flight, just fait weather theme). I was flying same flight many times without problem. Now I connect to VATSIM with FsInn and copilot and wow, what did not happend in FL300 - TAT increase to 50 and plane start reducing thrust and it was impossible get to FL350. I tried this flight twice on VATSIM with weather updating and always the same TAT problem. When I during the flight when TAT is 50 disconnect from Vatsim, quit FSinn and load default FSX weather theme TAT immediately decrease to approx 10. I always load before stored flight and Panel state and then I go - no problem with fair weather theme (when I saved flight I had this theme loaded and programmming FMC) but when updating real weather from Fsinn than I got this annoing problem. Again, sorry for my english. Hope this help you find solution
From my perspective I am not using Vatsim or FSInn here so don't think it has anything to do with that on my end...-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Adam,Look on the Report Screen for the OAT and the different flight levels.Paulo,Using FSInn was the weather option On or Off?Thanks,

For comparison, NOT using either FsInn or Vatsim.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Paulo7777587

weather options was enabled... Even with Squawkbox same problem

Guest Paulo7777587

Ok, I have been trying some things... ALWAYS whnen I during flight try to get actual weather with using FSINN or Squawkbox than ALWAYS have problem with TAT. Whenever I download actual weather from default FSX menu or use default weather scheme, everything is fine. And switch to Fsinn weather or default than TAT number is changed immediately. So I think problem is in "third parties weathers" and does not matter if you are using Active sky advanced or FsInn or Squawkbox