Sign in to follow this  
Arnaud

2D cockpit view viewpoint

Guys,The question is about a possible setting for the 2D cockpit view in fs9. We all know we can either press SHIFT+ENTER or SHIFT+BACKSPACE to move the viewpoint up or down. For some reason, it works smooth on a fresh install,after some addons aircrafts, pressing SHIFT+ENTER makes big steps, so that it's not possible to adjust the viewpoint as I would like to. I've been browsing the fs9.cfg in search of that value to be changed to default without any luck.I know about the PAN_IN_COCKPIT_MODE entry and it could have been useful, but it causes the PMDG MD11 to CTD for me, so I cant use this.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Rgds

If frame rates are low you will see the movements become much bigger. At least that is my experience.

Well thanks, but I rather thought this had to do with the fs9.cfg since it's a general fs9 command. Updating the aircraft.cfg could affect only one aircraft.The issue I'm talking about happens with all and any aircfrafts, from the default C172 to any add-on crafts. I will try to edit an acft.cfg though, and see if it solves the problem.

Well thanks, but I rather thought this had to do with the fs9.cfg since it's a general fs9 command. Updating the aircraft.cfg could affect only one aircraft.
So was I. In my experience, if the frame rates are low, in any aircraft, the eyepoint movement increments become pretty much double. It doesn't matter what numbers are in any .cfg file. Although, these movement were controlled by a switch on the CH yoke. Perhaps the combination of low frame frates and using the switch is a factor. I have never tried it using the keyboard commands in this situation.

aha, now that's interesting indeed, because it could be somehow linked to low frames (which was the case last time I noticed this).I use the keyboard for those movements, since my old crappy joystick does not have that camera switch.You can use keyboard arrows for viewing up/down/arround in VC, provided you assigned those keys in the FS assignment controls,by default those keys arent assigend at all (panning).

Guest dogknot

It may be low frame rates, but you mentioned that you experience this with all aircraft. You probably don't have low frames all the time...I wouldn't think.In the fs9.CFG, under the [CONTROLS] heading is the entry PAN_RATE=400, which is the default fs9 value. Most folks have changed this to 600 or even 900 for quick and smooth panning in the VC. However, one of the minor drawbacks of increasing this value is the increase in the "steps" for such actions as SHIFT+ENTER or SHIFT+BACKSPACE.It's worth a look to see if you are running default values or not. If not, then you have to decide if giving up the quick panning is worth the smaller steps for the other commands.Hope this can help you out.

THat PAN_RATE thing I did not know about, and that makes sense. That must be it, some add-on I installed must have changed that entry, I'll reverse it to 400 and see what it gives. Maybe a compromise like 600 would make the trick. Will report back, cheers.

Well, the PAN_RATE entry in my fs9.cfg was set to its default value, 400. I tried different settings, 900,600, etc... but at the end it appears that it affects only the panning in VC. The commands for moving eyepoint up, down, left, forward, left or or right (SHIFT+ENTER, SHIFT+BACKSPACE, CTRL+ENTER, CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER etc..) is another command and it seems the increments rate cannot be adjusted. At least I had not find it, even looking for EYEPOINT entries in the fs9.cfg. The only entries for eyepoint are the keyboard ASCII assignments.

PAN_RATE, is simply how fast your camera, when you move/rotate, is goin' to move. And for the movement in VC, i suggest to use Active Camera, which is payware. Than simply, when youre in the VC, pres ctrl+F11, and your goin to move your head/view by press and hold middle mouse button. But more effective thing is, after you press ctrl+F11, to pres F12 too. Than you will move your head/view just by movin' your mouse around, you don't have to press and hold anything.

I actually bought Active Camera few years ago, but trashed quickly it because I encoutered issues with it, espacially in the vc. Instead I bought DBC's Walk'n'Follow which is much better, espacially because it does not have some of AC's flaws with the outside view (remote terrain bug) and also because it allows you to set wingviews - unlike AC.To get back to my initial question, I asked about 2D cockpit view because I dont fly from the VC except for small planes like the lovely Carenado's.

In the avsim file library seach on Copeland. He has a seat adust gauge that I use. Works great.