Sign in to follow this  
A36 Apache

Looking for tutorial

I'm hoping someone has a book out there on FS model creation in GMax? Can someone point out a book on the subject? I can model in GMax, AutoCAD, or 3D Studio Max, but it would be nice to know some of the minor details of FS before I start so I don't miss any finer points. Specifically I wish to create models for FSX and I am looking for a tutorial that takes a plane from beginning to end. I wish to find this so that I learn how to create and place gauges and the finer details of textures and so on. Any help appreciated.

I was under the impression that the SDK provided such information.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

If you could point to a specific folder to check for a text file or PDF that would be very helpful. All I see are sample files and DLLs without any form of written explanation.

If you took the time to open the SDK documentation and look inside it... Environment Kit/Modeling SDK.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I opened it and there is no readme, there is no text file and there is nothing like a PDF. There are sample textures, DLLs, scripts, and plugins.In my OP I said I am looking for a book. Samples won't do, but a tutorial of some length might be very helpful.

I just told you exactly what everyone else who makes aircraft are using.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Okay, very well. When I am making airplanes I will use the same thing. Because that day is not here yet, I wish to read up on the finer details which the SDK is incapable of explaining. Now if you can point to a specific text file then please do. Otherwise, I will wait for someone that is more helpful.Thank you.

Guest FelixFFDS

A. There are no "cradle to grave" tutorials for FS-X modelling.B. You would do well to go through Milton Shupe's tutorials - a list of which and links are here. While Milton models for FS2004, the principles are the same. The main difference will be in texturing (where you have to create the FS-X materials) and certain animations. However, once you get to that point, it will be easier to "set you up".Of course, for either FS-X or FS2004 modelling, you HAVE to have the appropriate gamepack installed.Note that those tutorials don't really touch on the intricacies of creating a VC, etc.Granted, the SDK documentation is not for the faint hearted, and I don't know of anyone who created an FS-X model solely by reading the SDK, without reading this (and other) design forums.There is no "magic button" to create FS-X content...!!

To be perfectly frank, it would be an impossible task for anyone to write a complete tutorial and/or book covering every aspect of aircraft design for any FS version......there are simply too many options and variables in play at one time!I've written many white papers, tutorials and mini-tutorials over the past decade+, but none of them covered but only a tiny fraction of the entire process, choosing to focus on a narrow topic of interest.My best advice is to focus on one single area at a time, starting with a simple target, and seek to build your knowledge in small bites.Since you already have modeling experience, begin with Milton's C162 tutorial series. The information in my white papers on emissive lighting for FS9 and FSX willl assist you in the VC modeling process.The aircraft and gauge specific forums here and at several other sites (such as Freeflight Design Shop @ http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi and FSDeveloper Community @ http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/index.php) are excellent resources as well.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest daycab
I was under the impression that the SDK provided such information.
Ha Ha! That's a good one! The SDK actually telling you how to do something... Well, I have had MY laugh for the day... :)

Ha Ha! That's a good one! The SDK actually telling you how to do something... Well, I have had MY laugh for the day... :)
Well, you can laugh all you want, but consider this......how do you think we learned how to do things? :( Okay, I'll fess up. I learned most of what I know by diligent study of the SDKs, a lot of forum diving, asking focused questions and practice, more practice, and still more practice... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, you can laugh all you want, but consider this......how do you think we learned how to do things? :( Okay, I'll fess up. I learned most of what I know by diligent study of the SDKs, a lot of forum diving, asking focused questions and practice, more practice, and still more practice... :(
I'll second that! :( While it may have it's 'issues' it is still a good source of information, and if you are serious about modeling you really need to get into it.

Guest FelixFFDS

... and above all, make sure you check that little blue and white checkered box :)