Sign in to follow this  
DAD

Copilot does not follow commands

Hi, is there any trick to convince my copilot to follow my commands? He reads checklists but whenever in flight I use simple standard commands like GEAR UP than this command is properly recognized by the system and reproduced in the green text window but nothing happens. Same with any flaps setting, autopilot on/of etc.Phil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Hi, is there any trick to convince my copilot to follow my commands? He reads checklists but whenever in flight I use simple standard commands like GEAR UP than this command is properly recognized by the system and reproduced in the green text window but nothing happens. Same with any flaps setting, autopilot on/of etc.Phil
Hi Phil,Many of the commands are tied to conditions and only work when you're in certain modes.This is to help prevent uncommanded events from occurring if the speech recognition detects things you did not actually say.Did you follow the tutorial flight and print out the manual?Best,

Hi Phil,Many of the commands are tied to conditions and only work when you're in certain modes.This is to help prevent uncommanded events from occurring if the speech recognition detects things you did not actually say.Did you follow the tutorial flight and print out the manual?Best,
Hi Bryan. Have to admit that I followed the checklists but probably not adhered fully to the commands. Nonetheless I would love to have at least the option for 'free flight' where I can tell my copilot anything regardless of which state of the flight I am in. Besides that I haven't heard the copilot call 'rotate' during takeoff and I would like to raise the gear even if he did not realize that I am airborne BestPhil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Hi Bryan. Have to admit that I followed the checklists but probably not adhered fully to the commands. Nonetheless I would love to have at least the option for 'free flight' where I can tell my copilot anything regardless of which state of the flight I am in. Besides that I haven't heard the copilot call 'rotate' during takeoff and I would like to raise the gear even if he did not realize that I am airborne BestPhil
Hi Phil,You need to announce "takeoff" in order to hear takeoff calls.Again, please take a look at the tutorial flight and expanded checklist section. All is explained there.As mentioned, I can't 'untie' many of the calls from conditions because it's likely you get uncommanded actions from the FO. We tied a lot of the calls/checklists to conditions for a reason :( For example, if you yawn or move your chair, the speech recognition system could possibly interpret the associated sound as 'flaps full' or something else. So you could be doing your takeoff, and the next thing you know the FO putting out full flaps.There are are reasons, too, such as because many of the checklist responses and commands are the same, and that could produce undesired behavior.

Hi Phil,You need to announce "takeoff" in order to hear takeoff calls.Again, please take a look at the tutorial flight and expanded checklist section. All is explained there.As mentioned, I can't 'untie' many of the calls from conditions because it's likely you get uncommanded actions from the FO. We tied a lot of the calls/checklists to conditions for a reason :( For example, if you yawn or move your chair, the speech recognition system could possibly interpret the associated sound as 'flaps full' or something else. So you could be doing your takeoff, and the next thing you know the FO putting out full flaps.There are are reasons, too, such as because many of the checklist responses and commands are the same, and that could produce undesired behavior.
Basically understood, Bryan. But cannot things like Heading 023 or altitude 250 be made available any time? At least if the autopilot is on. That is the latest thing I learned: the Copilot does not help if the autopilot is set. Yes, read this part in the manual and it makes sense from a professional approach that I as the PF will only ask the PNF to set something like heading if the AP is off since if the AP is on I can set the heading myself. Nonetheless, I'd like to have at least a mode where I can direct the airplane by voice even with the AP on. Actually, this was what I expected FS2CREW would do here. Instead, the Copilot just repeats/confims my commands when the AP is on but not dial any numbers. Well, might not be realistic enough for you and feel free to refer me to MCE...Phil

Phil Leaven

Hi Phil,In a future I update I'll look into adding a switch, but FS2Crew tries do things the realistic way.That's been our angle for the last 5 years. :( Generally speaking, when the autopilot is on, the PF sets the autopilot, not the PNF.And the PF announces what he's doing and the PNF checks it.Still, I appreciate your comment as I appreciate not everyone is a stickler for procedural detail.I'll see what I can do.Cheers,

Hi Phil,In a future I update I'll look into adding a switch, but FS2Crew tries do things the realistic way.That's been our angle for the last 5 years. :( Generally speaking, when the autopilot is on, the PF sets the autopilot, not the PNF.And the PF announces what he's doing and the PNF checks it.Still, I appreciate your comment as I appreciate not everyone is a stickler for procedural detail.I'll see what I can do.Cheers,
Glad to see that you are open for these sort of comments, knowing that 'as real as it gets' is goal you are living. I believe it is a question of options you provide to users (like me). One the one hand I like realism as I only fly either PMDG (90%) or LVLD767 (10%), but sometimes things need to be quick and dirty if I want to squeeze in a short hop in either of these aircraft (lately 99% the J41). So, again. It's the options you give users like me. I am just evaluating MCE, too, though I just mastered to get rid of some installation issues. Will try a first flight tonight. But I already know by now that I do not like the MCE speech synthesis and prefer your approach much better. If you just let me command my copilot even if I am the PNF :( .BestPhil

Phil Leaven