Sign in to follow this  
wyert1

Runway lights

Can you tell me why they are so special and why they are not there by default?
Apparently MS thought none of would know the difference! As the advice above states these setting allow you to adjust those lights in size/scale thereby bringing them into sharper focus or less blur if you will. For example a smaller point of light with the same intensity, or just the opposite. As you have already read from others this is all subjective depending on your specific system and your own preference. That is why they say you should "play" with the settings.I hope this, with the good advice from above helps. I think you'll like the results.Bet regards to all,Mel

Hi allI only fly to airports with add-on sceneries............never (or very rarely) to default MSFS airports.My question is : will these fs9.cfg Display settings adversely affect the add-on sceneries and are they really intended only for the default sceneries??Probably a very dumb question but some confirmation/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.RegardsIan

IanOak-RhindSignature6.png

I believe that depends on the type of lights the add-on uses. But I know those values have changed my UT night lighting lights, and MY add-on airport lights. But either way, values between .4 and .7 are best either way for me, esp becuase I use .78 zoom instead of 1.0 when flying, those lights get too blurry on that zone with default settings.

Apparently MS thought none of would know the difference! As the advice above states these setting allow you to adjust those lights in size/scale thereby bringing them into sharper focus or less blur if you will. For example a smaller point of light with the same intensity, or just the opposite. As you have already read from others this is all subjective depending on your specific system and your own preference. That is why they say you should "play" with the settings.I hope this, with the good advice from above helps. I think you'll like the results.Bet regards to all,Mel
I guess then the better question is this...If these entries are added and the values ar left at 1.0 does it visually change anything compares to the entries not being there. According to what was posted above it doesn't really seem like it. Is this correct?

As stated before Ms did not put the scalar settings directly into the cfg. file as they assumed a standard size for their own already installed halo.bmp. However if/when the avsim library comes back you will see a number of add ons which change the halo.bmp in many different ways. One can have exactly the type of light one likes e.g. one with flares or one with haze. I myself, have done a version of halo.bmp but have not yet been able to upload it as the library seems to be down more often than it is up!!!.The consequence of all these versions of halo.bmp is that their physical size(and therefore their apparent brightness) needs to be changed according to one's video card and display settings. Hence the scalar settings. You can play with the size as much as you like, but don't expect the scalar settings to change the size of the blue and greeen taxiway lights. It doesn't do that. It only changes the size of the rwy lights, strobes etc. The halo.bmp contains 4 lights of which only one is common for rwys and taxiways. My version of halo.bmp has a slightly elongated light with slight flare which represents a correct PAPI proportion(as usually the PAPI lights are in pairs) and to represent the green embedded taxiway lights slightly better. As said, the only way to change the physical size of the green/blue taxiway lights is to change the physical size of th relevant light in halo.bmpVololiberista