Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest shuttle5

have i made a big mistake

Hi , I am still using fs9 on a p4 3.2 with a 9800 pro 128 mb card , the fps that i am currently getting with everything maxed is between 10 & 20 fps on average.In order to try & increase fps i have ordered a 2nd hand radeon 3850 512 mb agp card after reading some reviews online.However I have been reading about possible driver issues on this forum :( Does anyone use this card for fs9/fsx & if so is it any good or have i just wasted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's a tough one. Your system is on a dead-end platform as you really don't have any other upgrade options. Unfortunately, FS9 is largely CPU-bound so a graphics card upgrade isn't going to help tremendously unless you are already running very high graphics settings. If you're not doing so, and don't plan to do so, and all you really desire is higher FPS, you need a new PC.

That's a tough one. Your system is on a dead-end platform as you really don't have any other upgrade options. Unfortunately, FS9 is largely CPU-bound so a graphics card upgrade isn't going to help tremendously unless you are already running very high graphics settings. If you're not doing so, and don't plan to do so, and all you really desire is higher FPS, you need a new PC.
Thanks for your reply, I will install the card to see how it performs , I currently have 1 gig of ram , do you think I will see a difference in performance if I increased that also. How do I find out what is the max amount of ram that I can install in my system,I cant afford a new rig at the moment.

Yes. FS9 can easily use 1GB RAM on its own. I'd suggest you use crucial.com's memory configurator (right on the front page) to find out how much RAM your system can accept. As long as you know the make & model of your motherboard you'll be fine.

Yes. FS9 can easily use 1GB RAM on its own. I'd suggest you use crucial.com's memory configurator (right on the front page) to find out how much RAM your system can accept. As long as you know the make & model of your motherboard you'll be fine.
I'll second the motion for more RAM. Going up to 2GB on my old AMD 1.8 system not only significantly improved frame rate but also largely eliminated "hiccups".Alex Reid

All I can say is that I ran FS9 on my old P4 with a 128 pci card. I got better performance from a 256 agp card.Bob