Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ppgstf

RAM for FS9

A mate of mine asked me a question which I should know the answer to but don't.He currently has 2Gb of RAM onboard his PC. He has two slots which each have 1Gb of RAM in. The question is, if he wants to have 3GB of RAM, can he have 2GB in one slot and 1Gb in the other as long as the RAM make and model are the same? Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can technically put any ram in any slot as long as its supported...but all will run at the lowest speed. however, to get the best performance you must put the memory in the correct channel slots and have them matched for dual channel operation. It's best to use 2 identical memory sticks in dual channel config...ie: 2 1gig sticks, or 2 2gig sticks..etc..

A 2 DIMM slot motherboard is unlikely to support dual-channel memory operation so I doubt that will be an issue.Match speed and type and everything should just work.

A 2 DIMM slot motherboard is unlikely to support dual-channel memory operation so I doubt that will be an issue.Match speed and type and everything should just work.
You're right, I missed that part. Dont remember the last time I saw a MB with only to slots. :(