Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

Help, I can't install Nvidia drivers

I would be grateful if someone can shed any light on the following issue.I upgraded from Vista 64 HP to Win7 64 HP (having carefully backed up the Vista Partition).I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers 195.62 for VISTA/WIn 7 64 (195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe) and decided to install them on Win 7. The drivers unpacked succesfully and appeared to install OK. However, on checking device manager I noticed that the Nvidia drivers had not installed. I then tried executing the Setup.exe from the unpacked driver folder. The setup ran OK but didn't install the drivers.Back in device manager I disabled the video card (GTX285) and re-enabled it and then received the message that "Microsoft ---- WDM driver #---" had been installed. Going to the add/remove programs appelet in the control panel the installed driver wasn't listed so I couldn't uninstall it. So now it appears that I am stuck forever with a MS driver in Win 7 and have reverted to Vista 64 until I can eliminate this problem.Any ideas guys? :(

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest firehawk44
I would be grateful if someone can shed any light on the following issue.I upgraded from Vista 64 HP to Win7 64 HP (having carefully backed up the Vista Partition).I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers 195.62 for VISTA/WIn 7 64 (195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe) and decided to install them on Win 7. The drivers unpacked succesfully and appeared to install OK. However, on checking device manager I noticed that the Nvidia drivers had not installed. I then tried executing the Setup.exe from the unpacked driver folder. The setup ran OK but didn't install the drivers.Back in device manager I disabled the video card (GTX285) and re-enabled it and then received the message that "Microsoft ---- WDM driver #---" had been installed. Going to the add/remove programs appelet in the control panel the installed driver wasn't listed so I couldn't uninstall it. So now it appears that I am stuck forever with a MS driver in Win 7 and have reverted to Vista 64 until I can eliminate this problem.Any ideas guys? :(
I hope you shutdown and restarted your system after installing your video card drivers. They don't tell you to shut down like they did in earlier versions but you should shut down and restart your system. Then, your devices will be "seen". Best regards,Jim

I hope you shutdown and restarted your system after installing your video card drivers. They don't tell you to shut down like they did in earlier versions but you should shut down and restart your system. Then, your devices will be "seen". Best regards,Jim
I sure did, but thanks.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

If you are still having problems try downloading driver sweeper and use it to erase your video drivers and then reinstall them. In you can go into control panel/programs and uninstall your driver and reboot then sweep, reboot, install, reboot. If you can not unintall the current drivers then try to sweep, reboot, install, reboot.Make sure that you only select Nvidia - Display to sweep. If you have a MB with Nvidia drives please do not mistakenly sweep those or you will be in even bigger trouble.http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Drive...nload-1655.htmlRod

If you are still having problems try downloading driver sweeper and use it to erase your video drivers and then reinstall them. In you can go into control panel/programs and uninstall your driver and reboot then sweep, reboot, install, reboot. If you can not unintall the current drivers then try to sweep, reboot, install, reboot.Make sure that you only select Nvidia - Display to sweep. If you have a MB with Nvidia drives please do not mistakenly sweep those or you will be in even bigger trouble.http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Drive...nload-1655.htmlRod
Thanks for the link to drive sweeper.I fixed my problem yesterday when I re-upgraded Vista 64 to Win64. Everything went well and the nvidia driver issue didn't materialise, the installed drivers being carried across from Vista to Win7. For the benefit of others my mistake appears to be that on the first upgrade I booted and upgraded from the Upgrade CD when the correct way to do it is to boot into Vista64 and then execute the Setup.exe on the CD. That was only difference between my first and second upgrade efforts. Then I found out that Norton Ghost #14 doesn't work properly with Win7 so it's back to Vista64 until further notice. FSX performance was similar under both OS's so it is no big loss. :( Thanks for the help.

John

If I'm every upgrading my computer or anything like that I always backup my files first and then wipe the computer clean otherwise theres always some program or something that causes havoc.Simon