Sign in to follow this  
brucek

FSX Repair and SP2

I am currently doing a repair on a relatively new install of FSX (SP2) to fix a problem with the SimConnect. I am using the FSX DVD. After this is completed, do I still have SP2 or do I have to re-install those to get back to SP2? And how about stuff like UTX, GEX and REX, are they affected by the repair? There seems to be a lot of textures being copied at the moment.Thanks- Bruce.

I am currently doing a repair on a relatively new install of FSX (SP2) to fix a problem with the SimConnect. I am using the FSX DVD. After this is completed, do I still have SP2 or do I have to re-install those to get back to SP2? And how about stuff like UTX, GEX and REX, are they affected by the repair? There seems to be a lot of textures being copied at the moment.Thanks- Bruce.
Just to answer a part of my own question in case someone else needs to know:Afetr running the Repair from the FSX DVD's, I had to uninstall the re-install SP2 (not SP1). At least that's what I know at the moment- running FSX without doing this after a repair causes a fatal error.What I still don't know is whether a re-install of UTX, GEX and/or REX is/are required.Thanks, Bruce.

A repair of FSX is exactly that, only files and folders relating to FSX are searched, checked and changed or reinstalled. As long as the addons have made no changes to default files then no reinstall is required, with the caveat that you will need to run them to reinstall selected options as they will almost certainly have been reverted to default FSX files and textures.As for the logic of this, it is simple to get your head around. A REPAIR can only reinstate original files from the original DVD. If these have subsequently been altered by Service Packs or modifications by user then they will need to be re-run to ensure they are installed to the current level. It will not remove or change files it doesn't recognise as being part of FSX.I don't know whether a FSX Gold copy - which incorporates the Service Packs and Acceleration on the original DVD - can do a repair as a one-step solution, but for all other users this step-by-step package approach is required, and dont forget the defragmentation run, the installation routines are very scattergun and do not place files in optimum positions by default. One lesson to be learned from all this is; When you have completed the repair/run/servicepacks/defrag/run contortions, and while you have a `vanilla` installation of FSX, COPY the whole lot to a backup drive, giving the main folder a different name to avoid confusion - mine is FSBACKUPX. This keeps a clean, fully updated version of the sim ready for any troubleshooting and is far, far quicker than the repair route!Hope this helps!

FSX then SP1 then SP2 then defrag then add-ons ... if add-ons are hugh like GEX, UTX, FSGenesis, REX defrag after each one.

Guest WarpAir

tHE only reason i got a 1 tera backup drive is cause from time to time i backup all fsx and and other related stuff like the things under users folder.Backup is easier if you can just blanket copy the lot without having to be selective, and a tera backp drive means you dont have to be selective.currently i have about 8 fsx backups each folder named by its date, very usefull for fixing stuff later.On issue of fixing, i usally uninstall sp2, reboot install sp1 then sp2. then start fsx.

Guest firehawk44
Just to answer a part of my own question in case someone else needs to know:Afetr running the Repair from the FSX DVD's, I had to uninstall the re-install SP2 (not SP1). At least that's what I know at the moment- running FSX without doing this after a repair causes a fatal error.What I still don't know is whether a re-install of UTX, GEX and/or REX is/are required.Thanks, Bruce.
After repairing FSX, you must reinstall (or repair) SP1 then SP2. If you have Acceleration, you only need to repair FSX then Acceleration as Acceleration has both SP1 and SP2. SP1 had many improvements to increase FPS. Best regards,Jim

After repairing FSX, you must reinstall (or repair) SP1 then SP2. If you have Acceleration, you only need to repair FSX then Acceleration as Acceleration has both SP1 and SP2. SP1 had many improvements to increase FPS. Best regards,Jim
Thanks for the replies. I think I will uninstall both SP1 and SP2 then re-install them since I never did a reinstall of SP1 after the repair, and re-installing the textures for the add-ons is no big deal.Thanks, happy holidays,Bruce.