Sign in to follow this  
Guest gauramohana

Moving FSX

Guest gauramohana

Hi therei currently have FSX, PMDG 747, and a few other addons installed under Windows 7 x64 in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X but i heard that it is better to install it somewhere else. currently i dont think i have any problemsi DO have another hardrive (G:\) and was wondering how i can move everything? i dont think a simple copy/paste will work, and re-installing is pretty much out of question.btw will i notice a FPS increase if i move?

I like to install FSX to c:\FSX just so it is more accessible. Some say that Win 7 has some write restrictions under the program files (x86) folder but I have not had any issues with FSX installed there either. Also, If you don't own an SSD you may see a bit shorter load time with the c:\FSX install.jja,

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

i currently have FSX, PMDG 747, and a few other addons installed under Windows 7 x64 in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X but i heard that it is better to install it somewhere else. currently i dont think i have any problems
If you have no problems, don't move it anywhere. The recommendation to install outside "Program Files" was sound under Vista due to some issues with the OS mechanisms to protect software installed to that path. I don't know if those issues carry over to Windows 7 (my own install is on a separate HDD).I don't know of anything other than a reinstall that will work - you can't just move the files.

The main reason for moving FSX onto its own drive / partition is fragmenation. The c drive gets fragmeneted as soon as you fire up your pc and start using it. if you put fsx onto its own drive or partition, you generally dont need to defragment it unless you install or remove something. Have a look at you c drive, defrag it then check it again aftera few hrs use and you will see what i mean.

If you have no problems, don't move it anywhere. The recommendation to install outside "Program Files" was sound under Vista due to some issues with the OS mechanisms to protect software installed to that path. I don't know if those issues carry over to Windows 7 (my own install is on a separate HDD).I don't know of anything other than a reinstall that will work - you can't just move the files.
Win7 not only has the same restriction/protection issues, but even more so...The problem with simply moving the entire ..\FSX installation to another drive or path on the same drive is that the Registry entries will no longer be correct. While it is possible to manually edit one's Registry path entries, it is a very dangerous (not to mention tedious!) process.Worse though, nearly every addon product would also need to have their Registry entries revised as well! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator