Sign in to follow this  
royski

Insufficient Fuel Problem

Hi everyone,I just made my first flight using the PMDG 747-400X. After performing fuel computation - manual and with a fuel planner. I entered the values in FMC. I was surprised to find that FMC reports that fuel is insufficient. From pre-start up to departure phase of flight. When I reached my arrival airport, I still have enough fuel left (about 30%).Is this a bug?

Hi everyone,I just made my first flight using the PMDG 747-400X. After performing fuel computation - manual and with a fuel planner. I entered the values in FMC. I was surprised to find that FMC reports that fuel is insufficient. From pre-start up to departure phase of flight. When I reached my arrival airport, I still have enough fuel left (about 30%).Is this a bug?
A very high reserve fuel number can be the reason.Say you load 80 tons and you are going to use 50 in your flight, if you set 40 tons as reserve fuel you will get that message.In fact, what the FMC is telling you is not that you will not have enough fuel for the flight but you will not land with the programmed reserve.

There are three things that will cause this.1. The flight plan in the FMC is in error. The PROG button on the FMC will give the total distance for the flightplan that is loaded in the FMC.2. The flight plan will take into winds aloft, but the FMC does not know that. This will usually show up in eastbound flights in the Northern Hemisphere in the winter.3. As mentioned above the fuel reserve and the cost index. I use 18,000 lbs. (45 minutes) and a cost index of 125 nornally with derated thrust for climbout (5.0%).The goal is to never tanker fuel. You always want to be as light as possible. It takes about one pound of fuel to carry and extra 6 pounds of fuel. Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

There are three things that will cause this.1. The flight plan in the FMC is in error. The PROG button on the FMC will give the total distance for the flightplan that is loaded in the FMC.2. The flight plan will take into winds aloft, but the FMC does not know that. This will usually show up in eastbound flights in the Northern Hemisphere in the winter.3. As mentioned above the fuel reserve and the cost index. I use 18,000 lbs. (45 minutes) and a cost index of 125 nornally with derated thrust for climbout (5.0%).The goal is to never tanker fuel. You always want to be as light as possible. It takes about one pound of fuel to carry and extra 6 pounds of fuel. Bill
Very good suggestion guys. I remember I entered 10 as RESERVE, 100 as COST INDEX and a 45-min. CONTINGENCY plan. I will adjust the fuel planning in my next flight...

Did you make sure you had the right waypoints when you entered. Sometimes you can get that vor that is like 5000nm away and you will not have enough fuel for that.Taylor Oldham

Thank you guys for the suggestions and tips. My last flight from Hong Kong (VHHH) to Manila (RPLL) was good. I had no error messages from the FMC. I reduced my fuel reserves and contingency time to 30 minutes only. Landed with a good weight after a fuel burn. :(