Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

X-plane no longer working after graphic card swap

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any ideas for me hereI just got a new 5970 graphics card for use in my PC and it's running FSX perfectly, now the problem is I can't even get X-plane to load, it gets to a point, I head a flash of ATC talk then nothing and then windows declares the program stalled and it closes.I have tried removing the prefs file, but to no avail, it seems to not even be getting to that point, when I follow the text on the bottom, it states that it has loaded my plane and it's "done with finish region" and then the stall.Any Ideas?

Uhm... You could try disinstalling the old video-drivers and then reinstalling the latest Catalyst drivers.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have the latest catalyst driver installed, do you suggest removing it and replacing with the same?

I have the latest catalyst driver installed, do you suggest removing it and replacing with the same?
Uhm... In that case probably the best thing is to file a bug report ( I'd say crashing is a big bug indeed? :-) ):http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.htmlBe sure to attach the files: log.txt and crash_log.txt (you can find them in the main X-Plane folder).Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have had a similiar problem with some versions of X-Plane in combination with AntiAliasing. Try to disable it in the Catalyst Control Center (set to "application controlled")and see if that helps. And as Marco said, usually the reason for crashing is documented in the logs he mentioned. They are difficult to read for normal mortals, though. 95% of these kind of problems are historically cured by properly updating graphics drivers (uninstalling old ones correctly first, rebooting, installing new ones) and clearing out the preference files in X-Plane.Jan

Thanks Guys, I'll try these and see what happens.Although my last card (Nvidia) had awesome antialiasing, the ATI card seems to have a real problem with supersampling.

Guest djt01
Thanks Guys, I'll try these and see what happens.Although my last card (Nvidia) had awesome antialiasing, the ATI card seems to have a real problem with supersampling.
First off a dual GPU 5970 isn

I didn't get the dual GPU card for X-plane I got it for FSX.aaaaaaand before people start barking about FSX and dual GPU cards, I got it because a Tom's hardware article demonstrated higher frames in FSX with the 5970 than the 5870 using Eyefinity at my resolution. Your suggestion is correct, by disabling Catalyst AI, and setting everything to application preference in the CCC, X-plane has started running again.I am happy with the card but if I could get SSAA working it would be a home-run instead of a triple."The reason why the ATI 5800 series gets hammered in certain games with SSAA (not all with my experience with a dozen or so games) is because it is doing a lot more work than Nvidia at those settings. "I am not sure what this last statement means....

Guest djt01
I didn't get the dual GPU card for X-plane I got it for FSX.aaaaaaand before people start barking about FSX and dual GPU cards, I got it because a Tom's hardware article demonstrated higher frames in FSX with the 5970 than the 5870 using Eyefinity at my resolution.
What exactly is

My resolution is 5040 x 1050 I know there are other, possibly better sites out there, but TH has served my needs for years, Do you have some suggestions for other sites?"The way ATI performs that Super Sampling AA is what causes the performance hit with certain games, hence the reason why the image quality of

Guest djt01
My resolution is 5040 x 1050 I know there are other, possibly better sites out there, but TH has served my needs for years, Do you have some suggestions for other sites?
Just as a start