Sign in to follow this  
Flyer Ken

Bridges Missing

Chris or anyone that may know,I have noticed that bridges are missing (primarily Tampa Bay area where I live near)in FsCOF?? Not a real big deal, but seems unfinished and I cannot believe beta testers would have missed this?! So maybe I AM missing something like a setting is off or something?Again, not the end of the world just a question!I tried (with no success)(1) Maximum Scenery Complexity(2) Maximum Autogen Complexity(3) Maximum Terrain Mesh setting

Beta testers did not miss this.I believe a new database type of logic is used to place bridges. Good results:more bridges worldwide of generic different types matching often the real ones-bad results-a few missing "big" bridges.You will also find some missing buildings too.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest cwra6

Yep - we are down to two bridges in Portland over the Willamette.Colin

There are ZERO bridges in St. Louis City and the surrounding counties. If anyone finds a way to get bridges to appear correctly, please post.idle

Hennepin and 3rd ave. bridges missing in downtown Minneapolis. I used to like to fly under those :)

Guest BobKK

I haven't purchased my copy of FS9 yet. Can someone tell me if there is a bridge depicted in the NYC scenery that spans over the East River from lower Manhattan to Brooklyn? I just bought a 20% share in this bridge from a guy named Morey. But seriously folks, it seems odd that MS would leave out major bridges, since they were always depicted in prior versions of FS. I hope this is not a trend.Bob Klepner

No bridges over the Ohio River in Cincinnati, nor any to the Outer Banks, NC. (Guess the only way to get to the Wright Bros. memorial is by air now!!!)I remember many years ago climbing that thing, used to be able to...

If any old timers like me remember the mid 80's-airports were hand drawn and each placed individually. Therefore-to get an add on the the few included airports of fs at the time-one paid the same amount of $ as the sim to get an individual US state-like Michigan. One got a crude runway that didn't always match up-and we were thrilled at the time.Fs2000 improved on this by having accurate, world wide airports using Jepp data. In a few places where the data was in error you might get a misplaced runway, or wrong ils freq. etc-but it gave simmers world wide access to mostly very accurate world wide airports. No more hand drawn-and greater accuracy for a wider area.In the same way-the bridges in fs2004 are different.Pre FS 2004 bridges were a mix of scenery types: custom objects (such as those made in Gmax), and specialty scenery code (mostly pre FS 2000 stuff).In fs2004 those old style bridges are no more. MS replaced a fair number of these old style bridges, but not all.They added a new autogenlike type: autobridge. Autobridge places one of a random set of bridge types at all intersections of vector road data and water polygons. If there is no road crossing water there will be no bridge.These are generic bridges and are not meant to represent the bridge that's there in real life.A new way of doing business-and like with anything new there will be some problems. Ultimately though-this is the future, as now you will find bridges almost where ever they occur-not just where someone had time to "hand draw" one. I would expect this also improves frame rates. I would expect you will find a greater representation of worldwide bridges wherever they occur (not just major urban areas where someone hand drew one). However, this seems to be at the expense of some of the more famous ones.I am sure these major missing bridges will be gradually replaced, and can still be gmax replaced anyway.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

I agree with Geoffa's point in that (basically-in overview) for progress there must be a little pain. This sim seems very promising, but for now I have copied all the textures and new effects into FS2002 and might I say am rather enjoying that much more! Next is the attempt to put in the mesh from FS2004.So I am creating FS2003.:-erks :-hmmm and will enjoy my bridges and old style ATC with RC until I get a faster computer to handle those beautiful 3-d clouds.The MS team and testers did a fabulous job and I can't wait to be able to take full advantage of FS2004 once all the add ons and faster computer chips are manufactured.

If the bridges are placed using autogen logic, then perhaps these omissions can be corrected using programs that add roads and rivers such as Coast-line-maker.

Not a big deal???? The Skyway is completely messed up and only comes from the Mantee County side of the bay. I guess MS didn't want to give the suicidal people something to jump off. Too bad they can't do something about the real bridge. I tired of having to pull bodies out of the water. If you looking th e Bay Pines area of Pinellas you have a major screw up. There is like 20 bridges stacked on each other and on different headings.