Sign in to follow this  
vadriver

METAR ADVANCED INTERPOLATION - ZERO WIND

TeamFirstly, I searched for a similar topic / discussion to no avail, so will begin as follows.Using ASA (FSX) in real time with 10min download intervals, I find that at "regional airports" throughout OZ & NZ, metars with advanced interpolations are reported which are in most ways "similar" to TAF's - wind direction, cloud, visibility, temperature etc - and what one expects.However, at more than a curious few (40-50%) of airports at any & all the time, the wind speed is reported as calm, not as one expects for the TAF and not as per real world sources such as the Australian BOM airport data & one's own local knowledge - where for example, on a warm summer afternoon at Coffs Harbour (YSCH) 200m from the Pacific Ocean, an afternoon seabreeze of at least 10kts would be expected (as per the TAF).Interestingly in the above, at the same time at Port Macquarie (YPMQ) some 68 nm south but still on the coast Metar wind speed & direction / TAF "ditto" are similar and as are expected !My guess is that the interpolation at some regional airports coding or whatever is setting the wind at zero and not at least using the TAF as a guide ?? Your advise on the above would be appreciated - capital city airports (not interpolated) are no problem !CheersJohn

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi John,The TAFs are not used in interpolation but the METAR data. Not sure why ground values are zero, but at flight levels we have winds. I will put this on our bug list for Damian to look into, for the future.

JimThanks for your note - I continue to note where / when at which airports this happens.The problem is not as prolific on the east coast of Oz as I thought - seems the only airport is YSCH !In NZ, it is at many airports in both islands - NZRO, NZQN, NZNV etc. & where not only is the wind zero but from the same direction at all.I had been thinking the YSCH (FSX ident) problem was because it has been renamed YCFS (now the real world ident) and perhaps your metar source was not realising this - but that doesn't explain the NZ problem/s.The other curioisity about YSCH is that it is near and amongst many other airports which don't have this metar problem. In NZ, the problem airports are in clusters away from the likes of NZAA & NZCH and not in amongst ones that are okay - and on Map, outside the area of surface wind chevrons (??)My other quandry is that I'm almost sure it is a recent problem. I have been flying to the mentioned airports with ASA Build 433 many times (generally weekly) and had never noticed as much zero wind as I recently had - which is what prompted my post (I have a long time habit of checking the ASA engine is connected if I see zero wind & / or standard QNH reported on ATIS).For now, trust this can help your efforts & look forward to news !CheersJohn

for now, cheers

john martin

I have experienced the same problems with surface winds at regional airports in New Zealand. The temperature is also incorrect at these airports

I have experienced the same problems with surface winds at regional airports in New Zealand. The temperature is also incorrect at these airports
NeilCan I ask when you first noticed the problem - my suspicion is it has only started recently !I also notice the wind direction (not that you should have direction when it is calm) is always 225

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi JohnYes, the wind direction is always showing as 225 Deg 0 Knots at these airports - I upgraded from ASV 6.5 to ASA on 1 June 2009 and I am sure the problem has been there from the start. ASV 6.5 did not have this problem.CheersNeil

JimA short note to add to my earlier notes on this post !The attached is a copy of part of an ASA Briefing weather log for a flight I did a few days back.You will notice zero wind at YSCH (the airport reference point) whereas close by (300m away) at the airport's VOR (CH ident), there is wind & a different weather all round (temp / cloud / QNH etc.)I have noted similarly at those other airports where zero wind is always reported - eg NZRO, NZQN etc. The only difference I do note between these (where the wind is always 225

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi All,We have worked this all out through our next SP. Yes, it may be soon.

Yes, it may be soon.
You know, soon is not enough. Soon this year or soon these days :( Just kidding.... thanks for your support! looking forward to this SP!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere between these days and this year!! But closer to these days!

JimThanks for your note - looking forward to the SP !CheersJohn

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi TeamI was hoping this problem would be fixed when ASE was released but unfortunately not. Winds at regional airfields around New Zealand still invariably show as 225 deg at 0 knots and the temperature about 15 deg lower than it should be. Weather at main airports is correctly shown.CheersNeil

I have the same thing at various remote Caribbean airports. I can't speak to temps, but the wind is always calm unless the reporting airport has an actual wx observation station. ASE and FSX, Vista 64.

Guys,We have improved on the interpolated surface winds.

Guys,We have improved on the interpolated surface winds.
JimIt is still calm at Queenstown (NZQN), day or night and always a south westerly !Any thoughts / comments.CheersJohn

for now, cheers

john martin