Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Windows 7 64 Bit

Hi,Just wondering if anyone removed Windows 7 services and noticed an increase in performance in FSX?.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I am not sure what services you are referring to, but I followed NickN's OS tweaks, link below, and my Win7 Ult 64b runs great. When tuning Win7 per the below follow all Vista advise/links. If Nick metioned something for Vista or XP/Vista that I could not find in Win7 I just skipped it. Anyway, maybe the Win7 services you are referring to are referenced in this link.http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973Regards,Rod

Mike, I resorted to shutting down every possible service I could to try and tame persistent microstutters in W7 and I never noticed an appreciable performance gain, in fact the microstutters remained, which I don't have in XP64. At this point, I'd consider leaving them alone as more harm than good might result. Of course, go for the obvious performance killers like W/Defender etc.

Regards, Kendall

Guest firehawk44
Hi,Just wondering if anyone removed Windows 7 services and noticed an increase in performance in FSX?.
Mike,I have never tried turning off Services but looking at your system specs I have to wonder why you have a need for better performance. I was seriously thinking of upgrading to the latest and greatest but, if I'm going to have to continue to tweak, turn off Services, etc., I can't see paying the additional $4000 - $6000. Your system looks awesome! But it wouldn't hurt to try it yourself by downloading one of the many freeware game enhancers offered at MajorGeeks.com that does just that then enables them when you quit FSX (or any game). Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
I am not sure what services you are referring to, but I followed NickN's OS tweaks, link below, and my Win7 Ult 64b runs great. When tuning Win7 per the below follow all Vista advise/links. If Nick metioned something for Vista or XP/Vista that I could not find in Win7 I just skipped it. Anyway, maybe the Win7 services you are referring to are referenced in this link.http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973Regards,Rod
This is the link I have used when looking for info on the various Windows 7 Services and what should be left on and what can be turned off: http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm.Best regards,Jim

You might be better off to forget about the services and take a look at all the crap that Task Scheduler has happening.Lots of stuff here to disable but do some homework before randomly turning things off.