Sign in to follow this  
bojote

[BufferPools] PoolSize=0 the holy grail of FSX performance...

Guest justinm001

ive got gtx285-2gb + 920 @ 4.5 + win7 64bit.. with 196.21 nvidia drivers oh yeah and nhancer.I only use widescreen/tree cells/max texture load tweaks and poolsize=5000000 and 90% high settings (except ai/cars)At the moment dx10 is 100% besides the tree shimmer, and dx9 is nearly perfect except it has occasional micro jitters when you do sharp turns. Anywho loaded up one of the LEVEL-D planes and flew around YMML with FTX textures and i was using ~550mb GPU mem.same GPU mem with poolsize=0, and no poolsize at all. Was all still perfect. could pan around and what not. Did the same at KJFK (with default FSX scenary) using about ~720mb GPU mem.same with pool=0 and no pool..With poolsize=0 the micro stutters on turns in DX9 did appear to be gone completly however..........Tried it a few times over and over changing the settings back and forth. so it does appear like it is making a differance in that.. for me anyways..I Put it in DX10 mode and had the except same results however i seem to use 100MB less ram in DX10Anyways so for me the poolsize=0 didnt seem to change the memory allocation at all (or do anything for DX10) but did fix appear to fix up DX9 micro stutters so thanks heaps for that :)And yeah it didnt create any crashes or problems. Just out of curiosity how the hell are you all managing to use so much GPU memory ???

Guest justinm001

oh yeah Bojote, I get the same bad performance as you do with poolsize=450mb. no crashes with any poolsize though.

Guest SkullxBones

justinm001Did you ever try deleting the BufferPools command? Deleting it cured my micro stutters.

justinm001Did you ever try deleting the BufferPools command? Deleting it cured my micro stutters.
Deleteing it does not mean 0.. it means the SP2 (or SP1) default 1 or 3 MillionHowever, justin seems to have confirmed what I tought. FSX does offer a huge improvement when using 2GB Video cards and PoolSize=0... Justin, have you ever experienced black screens or texture corruption in FSX?

Guest justinm001

I originaly had issues with DX9 until i formatted my raptor drive to 64k allocation, was hooked on DX10 by that time though. But Im back to DX9 now so i can actualy use addons :( .But yeah I did try that just before when I was doing the above tests. Im still not convinced poolsize=5000000 actualy does anything (espeacily in DX10) Which makes sense if the default(leaving it out) is 1mb right ?I'll keep going with poolsize=0 and see what happens. I think all the tweaks mask other problems. Allthough I like the sound of the theory of this poolsize=0.yeah i had black screens with the PMDG (or whatever its called) and some level-d addons installed.I think alot of the addons are causing problems. If anyone is familiar with kernel debuggers it shouldnt be to tricky to determine the issue.I only use my pc for FSX though so i also have the aero theme disabled and just use windows classic/best performance settings in win7.

Just tried BufferPools=0 at FSDT-JFK, I was in the default powered kite, flew for 5 min and Black Screened when I went into the menu to change planes.BTW even at 1920x1200 8Q is pretty poor, Simple 2x2 supersampling would be a big improvement for you, but you'll need RivaTuner or Enhancer. I'm using 4x4 SS and it is near perfect.
Did you notice how much VIDEO memory GPU-Z was reporting at the time of the crash? I'm sure it was probably 680-700... You are more prone to crashing/texture corruption because of your high res settings and antialiasing.. remember that those increase VRAM usage considerably, so yes, it is expected with a 1GB card and PoolSize=0 to experience black screens... PoolSize=0 is NOT a solution to texture corruption... its simply a way to get even better performance on a rig with a 2GB Video card.

Guest FlyingBits
ive got gtx285-2gb + 920 @ 4.5 + win7 64bit.. with 196.21 nvidia drivers oh yeah and nhancer.I only use widescreen/tree cells/max texture load tweaks and poolsize=5000000 and 90% high settings (except ai/cars)At the moment dx10 is 100% besides the tree shimmer, and dx9 is nearly perfect except it has occasional micro jitters when you do sharp turns. Anywho loaded up one of the LEVEL-D planes and flew around YMML with FTX textures and i was using ~550mb GPU mem.same GPU mem with poolsize=0, and no poolsize at all. Was all still perfect. could pan around and what not. Did the same at KJFK (with default FSX scenary) using about ~720mb GPU mem.same with pool=0 and no pool..With poolsize=0 the micro stutters on turns in DX9 did appear to be gone completly however..........Tried it a few times over and over changing the settings back and forth. so it does appear like it is making a differance in that.. for me anyways..I Put it in DX10 mode and had the except same results however i seem to use 100MB less ram in DX10Anyways so for me the poolsize=0 didnt seem to change the memory allocation at all (or do anything for DX10) but did fix appear to fix up DX9 micro stutters so thanks heaps for that :)And yeah it didnt create any crashes or problems. Just out of curiosity how the hell are you all managing to use so much GPU memory ???
Not mentioning what kind of filtering is meaningless, for instance 2x2 super sampling renders the image at twice the screen resolution in both vrt/hrz let alon soemthing like 4x4SS, think of that using 1920x1200. so just saying "I have enhancer" doesn't tell us anything really useful amd from your GPU memory usage it sounds like it is just minimal filtering.I really dont think you guys are pushing very hard or hard enough.I just did a quick repeat flight with BP=400000000 (400mb) at FSDT JFK and swapped in and out of several AC, CS727pro and others flew out to DC and back grabed the F104 did soem fast and low over aerosoft manhatten and back into CS727 no problems. Same Flight with BP=0 and I could not change a plane once before it BlackScreened.GPU memory? from the log file it topped out at 1018mb with a GPU load of %67

Guest justinm001

hmmm so are you guys actualy using ~1GB of GPU mem ???? or the 1gig cards cant handle ~500 ??Im confused why the 2gb improves it ?

Guest justinm001

Im using the standard settings for Nhancer in NickN's guide and in that first option (not familiar with video card stuff) mines set to 16S. 8SQ wasnt as good quality. and 32S (or woteva the 32 option is) seems to be exactly the same as 16S.Oh yeah i have my gtx hooked upto to 2 x 42" lcd's at 1600x1200... So the ol girl is getting pushed pretty hard... :)

Not mention what kind of filtering is meaningless, for instance 2x2 super sampling renders the image at twice the screen resolution in both vrt/hrz let alon soemthing like 4x4SS, think of that using 1920x1200.I really dont think you guys are pushing very hard or hard enough.

GPU memory? from the log file it topped out at 1018mb with a GPU load of %67
I can not think of ANY software.. ANY that will ever use that ammount of VRAM.... to me the black screen issue is obvious, specially in your case!! PoolSize=0 DOES NOT protect you from blackscreens! PoolSize=0 is telling FSX, hey, use unlimited amounts of VRAM, take what you need, no limits!! however, when you set a poolsize value, you are telling FSX to use a static SIZE for the memory pool to use with textures etc. Now... for me, having 'ANY' value other than 0 in PoolSize DOES affect performance considerably!

Guest justinm001

hehe yeah.Considering that making the slightest change to your ram for e.g could fix/create stuttering issues people are gonna be here forever. The site should charge a yearly membership :(

hi guys,I set my PC clock on february 6, 2020, browsed the avsim forum and there were still threads about how to improve fsx performance. So I set it back to 2010. :(

Guest FlyingBits
I can not think of ANY software.. ANY that will ever use that ammount of VRAM.... to me the black screen issue is obvious, specially in your case!! PoolSize=0 DOES NOT protect you from blackscreens! PoolSize=0 is telling FSX, hey, use unlimited amounts of VRAM, take what you need, no limits!! however, when you set a poolsize value, you are telling FSX to use a static SIZE for the memory pool to use with textures etc. Now... for me, having 'ANY' value other than 0 in PoolSize DOES affect performance considerably!
Then I think there is a missunderstanding here.1. First, take any scene and use REAL supersampling AA and see how much GPU memory starts to get used, combine that with a high resolution scene ...check and so forth.Not to mention the settings previously mentioned (like LOD 6.500000 etc) on which this system is used for designing and compiling huge masses of photorealsitic scenery at 13cm/pix over large areas and have been doing this a long time, thats hundreds of GB of custom textures....now add 3D models and a PMGD, some nasty weather/clouds, and with all those settings and all that filtering the GPU memory is pegged all the time, that is no problem, BS happends under certain conditions not related to the GPU buffer being full or not, its a frame buffer, it wasn't full when I ran BP=0 and it Black screened with just the default Kite and just a two minute flight, think about it.2.BufferPools Does not set a cap or limit on how much GPU memory is alocated, at all.The default is 4mb and that should give us a clue.Read from PT what Bufferpools does:"Where n is the amount of bytes we will allocate for one pool of vertex and index buffers to store geometry."http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...-week-or-2.aspxI am using Texture_Multi=100you?

Guest justinm001

i thought that setting must of been screwed in win7. use 10, 50, 80, 400 doesnt change anything when i play with that setting.

Then I think there is a missunderstanding here.
FSX seems to be one of the few apps that makes use of such huge ammounts of VRAM, confirming what we all know! in YOUR case, it makes perfect sense you are using 1GB memory, you are pushing your card to its limits with your nHancer settings and screen resolution... thats why PoolSize=0 won't work for you! if you had a 2GB memory card, you'll be able to, no problems.Texture_Multi you mean TBM correct? I use 75 how I came with that number? I just wanted to use a multiple of my locked FPS (25)