Sign in to follow this  
bojote

[BufferPools] PoolSize=0 the holy grail of FSX performance...

Guest UlfB
You should able to get rid of the shimmering trees by applying "tansparency=Multi or SuperSampling" in the driver menu or the same if you use enhancer/rivatuner etc
Why not Combined 8x? Gives me less shimmering. Also recommended by Nick Needham.

Guest Nick_N
Hi,I also asumed that this setting had no effect in FSX, but I was wrong. Here is a thread OT: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=263132&hl=
FFTF has no use for multicore processors after SP1 with texture and landclass scenery. Tile Proxy and photoscenery are different and are handled different in the render which is why FFTF can be effective as well as a TBM of 250-400 is valid if pure photoscenery is used without any textures in the scene as well as MipBias=6tree and autogen shimmer is controlled using Nhancer with Negative LOD BIAS = CLAMP and Combined 8xS AA

FFTF has no use for multicore processors after SP1 with texture and landclass scenery.
true, specially if using UNLIMITED frames. However, if you LOCK your FPS, this setting DOES have an huge impact with or without photo scenery.Just lock your FPS to 25, and SLEW the aircraft using extreme values for FFTF (e.g 0.10 and 0.50) and see for yourself. this setting affects CPU0 utilization considerably when FPS is locked.

Guest FlyingBits
FFTF has no use for multicore processors after SP1 with texture and landclass scenery. Tile Proxy and photoscenery are different and are handled different in the render which is why FFTF can be effective as well as a TBM of 250-400 is valid if pure photoscenery is used without any textures in the scene as well as MipBias=6tree and autogen shimmer is controlled using Nhancer with Negative LOD BIAS = CLAMP and Combined 8xS AA
Nick,First, thanks for your responses here.So the "transparency AA" available from 7xxx serries NV cards and on is only applying AA to fences and other Alpha textures but not trees?I think I need to go back in and do my FSX/Driver imageQ/performance settings test all over again...

Guest FSXBuster
The PerfBuckets tweak is snake oil. Info here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...eek-or-not.aspx
Actually, I have a deep respect for Snake Oil:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil :( But I must admit there's no cure for FSX!FYI: I use every weird and wacko tweak out there, I don't care...If it works I'll grab it, if not, out!An interesting quote from Phil Taylor I found somewhere:You have to understand FSX and its performance as a Socratic, holistic thing across all the subsystems and how they interact. It

I wonder if the driver level issue will be fixed with the new DXT runtimes.jjaa
First, I don't believe it to be a driver 'issue' what I believe is that the MS FSX Development team, in their quest to offer the best experience possible gave us a hack (BufferPools) to better utilize GPU video memory (swaping and recyciling memory address spaces). This, makes sense if your card is 128MB! but if you have a 2GB card, PoolSize will LIMIT your card full potential. So, in short.. the PoolSize=0 is NO miracle tweak... its simply a way for 2GB card users to experience FSX nirvana.

Fair enough. I have a EVGA GTX275 with 1792MB clocked at 721, shader clock 1600 and memory clock at 1175. Is there enough there to benefit from this in your opinion?Stephen
Stephen, you definitely should see an improvement!! try and report back (any card above 1.5GB of memory should benefit from PoolSize=0)

Guest Nick_N
Nick,First, thanks for your responses here.So the "transparency AA" available from 7xxx serries NV cards and on is only applying AA to fences and other Alpha textures but not trees?I think I need to go back in and do my FSX/Driver imageQ/performance settings test all over again...
See the Nhancer settings I posted in the FSX tuning threadI intend to update that thread in the coming months to make changes and additions which have surfaced over time and to simplify it. In example SSD drives are now out which that thread does not coverShimmering scenery or AI is usually because the dev did not mip the textures which is a crock. The Combined 8xS setting along with NEG LOD is what gets rid of tree shimmer.and although FFTF will display differences regardless of the scenery installed, using with anything other than tile proxy or photoscenery and a multicore processor is a crock, period. Adam at Aces made that quite clear and I checked it myself. The only systems after SP1 that can take real advantage of FFTF with typical texture/LC scenery are single corePerfbucket making any difference at all is a crock. All that does is set the default sliders in FSX based on what hardware is in use. It has no effect whatsoever on anything hidden, just the sliders and checkboxesand I have a 2GB 280GTX Poolsize zero nets a stuttering messThis deal about such tweaks is more than likely tied back to a combination of items in a system including the OS, hardware and the drivers in use. As I recall Phil stated TBM=0 and BP=0 revert back to the min default value but I would need to look that uphoweverBP effects more than just FSX. The deal with BP is that it also effects the PCIe bus latency. We know this for a fact thanks to Sargeski and his discovery of monitoring with a DPC latency tool which is why the higher BP settings for some systems have more value but that does not mean FSX is USING that 100, 200 or 490MB! It means the the setting is effecting the latency between the video card and another device being shared Sound crackle was cured this way on some systems and in systems that had no sound crackle problems stutters were smoothed out with a higher value. When you see that happen its not BP being used by FSX.. its BP effecting the busso to sum it up bufferpools values can be ignored by FSX and default back to its min value if set to zero but the driver/bus can be effected by the setting even if FSX is not using the entire amount reserved for the scene as in the case with BP=200-490MB, or, the zero value

Guest UlfB
...so to sum it up bufferpools values can be ignored by FSX and default back to its min value if set to zero but the driver/bus can be effected by the setting even if FSX is not using the entire amount reserved for the scene as in the case with BP=200-490MB, or, the zero value
That's interesting. If set to zero FSX uses its min value. What is the min value?

Guest Nick_N
That's interesting. If set to zero FSX uses its min value. What is the min value?
Sorry.. that should have been... so to sum it up bufferpools values can be ignored by FSX if they are out of range for the hooks and default back to its min OR default value if set to zero TBM=0 - RTM, SP1, SP2 defaults to = 10BP=0 - RTM = 1MB SP1+ = 4MBI dont have time to look it up however I do recall Phil discussing the settingstheres 2 different things at play with BP.. what FSX is or isnt using, and, the latency changes.. the second is driven by the entire system in use including the hardware combination, BIOS, OS and drivers regardless of what FSX does with the value set. In other words it may be ignored and FSX with use its default (1MB or 4MB depending RTM or SP) in FSX but the system itself is effected by the 'zero', very high (200-409), or, any out of range valueTBM is 10 min... no value lower (0 through 9) will do anything but FSX will use 10 even if the config says =0

Guest FSXBuster

Okay, have a go with 1 as bufferpool, what will happen then?

Guest Nick_N
Okay, have a go with 1 as bufferpool, what will happen then?
read what I posted above

Guest FSXBuster

Yep, thanks Nick, I just tried the various settings, and it slowly but surely starts driving me crazy!(I'm not an engineer, so my angle to all this is different than yours...)Usually I have a BP at 12000000 with a 512 Mb card, and for testing I just tried 120 as BP, and to my utter surprice, STUTTERFREE over KSEA with sliders 3/4!Try it...