Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Horizontal trim wheel - that noise!

I alwaysd thought the rattling clackety-clack of the trim wheel an odd sound and exagerated in the PMDG and another 737 sim.Watching a the World Air Routes GOL 737 video I realize that the sound is actually even more persistent in real life than in either sim.My question is: is the noise a result of the design and construction or was it designed and built to make that noise?What causes the noise?And why, in this day and age of electronics and gadgetry, does the elevator trim have to be controlled by such a clunky, huge and old-fashioned device?Okay, thats three questions, but whos counting.Nicholas

I alwaysd thought the rattling clackety-clack of the trim wheel an odd sound and exagerated in the PMDG and another 737 sim.Watching a the World Air Routes GOL 737 video I realize that the sound is actually even more persistent in real life than in either sim.My question is: is the noise a result of the design and construction or was it designed and built to make that noise?What causes the noise?And why, in this day and age of electronics and gadgetry, does the elevator trim have to be controlled by such a clunky, huge and old-fashioned device?Okay, thats three questions, but whos counting.Nicholas
Is the noise a result of the design and construction or was it designed and built to make that noise? What causes the noise?The noise is caused by the mechanism on the autotrim. If I remember correctly is something to do with the clutch mechanism in the pedestal which helps ensures proper movement of the cables back to the tail. The wheel is a standard Boeing's design and is similar to their other aircraft. Maybe one of the Mechanics could comment further.And why, in this day and age of electronics and gadgetry, does the elevator trim have to be controlled by such a clunky, huge and old-fashioned device?The short answer is, the original 737 "Classic" was designed in the early 60's. The NG 600-900 was a major upgrade to the classic series in response to the Airbus A320 competition and I believe Boeing started development in 1991. I think first flight was 1993-94. Much of the aircraft was redesigned and enhanced including new avionics and engines. So the answer to your question is the airplane design is not of this "day and age". If you do a search on the NG you can find a lot more detail on the aircraft's history :(

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I still use the trim wheel in the aircraft I fly even though it has electric trim. I like the tactile feeling of slight adjustements on the wheel while feeling the pressure in the yoke being removed. I've been doing it that way for so long I don't think I could change. I am sure it is different in big iron.

Dan Downs KCRP

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I still use the trim wheel in the aircraft I fly even though it has electric trim. I like the tactile feeling of slight adjustements on the wheel while feeling the pressure in the yoke being removed. I've been doing it that way for so long I don't think I could change. I am sure it is different in big iron.
You wouldn't like the Cirrus Dan, no trim wheel. :(

You wouldn't like the Cirrus Dan, no trim wheel. :(
They sure are good looking airplanes. There was one sitting next to the Chancellor on the ramp the other day and I had to do a walk around.

Dan Downs KCRP

They sure are good looking airplanes. There was one sitting next to the Chancellor on the ramp the other day and I had to do a walk around.
Yes they are! The club just picked up new Perspective SR22 Turbo. Take a look at the web site, it has a whole bunch of toys. Lots of fun to fly!